Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)
  • Oldest Teacher
  • Eyepic
    Free Member

Mrs Eyepic is a 54 year old primary school teacher she knows of no older teacher than herself.

What is the oldest teacher that you are aware of who is still teaching in a classroom?

Are they in primary or Secondary Education?

Thankfully her friends and I agree that she doesn’t look her age,although she swears she feels much older when in a classroom.

monkeychild
    Free Member

My mate’s dad is 79/80 and still teaches (not full time though).

bencooper
    Free Member

I’m not sure how old she is, but there’s a teacher at my daughter’s primary school who was there when I was there over 30 years ago.

She claims to remember me too. Must’ve made an impression.

mattsccm
    Free Member

I do supply work at several schools that have teachers older than me at 53.

ajantom

One of my dept is 65, she’s considering going part time, but not ready to retire yet.

chakaping
    Free Member

My A-level history teacher was in his 70s.

I’m sure he could personally remember a lot of our syllabus.

Edukator
    Free Member

64 in the secondary school Madame works in. She’ll soon be the oldest!

kayak23

My colleague just turned 70. He’s part time now but was full time a year ago teaching painting and decorating.

Spin
    Free Member

I work with a 72 year old maths teacher and a 71 year old music teacher. The maths teacher is on a full time permanent contract. The music teacher works full time at present but is on supply. They are both, in their own ways inspirational individuals but I hope I am not still working full time at the same age and I’m pretty sure they’re not doing it by choice.

jambalaya
    Free Member

^^ 🙂

Ambrose

I’m 54. Going back to work after the holidays is becoming really tiresome. Once Boy 2 is through university I may well quit. We’ll see when the time comes.

Northwind

I did a school visit a while back and met a 72-year-old lady who was in her last week, she kept asking about outreach programs and the like and every time we tried to impress her she’d go “Yep, we had a lot of fun setting that one up in 1965” “Ah yes, that was quite cutting edge… in the 70s!” She was awesome but I think really just playing at the teaching.

Kojaklollipop
    Free Member

My partners mother retired last year at 75, she wanted to carry on, private prep school though so quite different to the local primary school where my partner works where at 48 she’d retire tomorrow if she could.

hammerite
    Free Member

There are a couple I know who are doing supply and are well past retirement age.

mamadirt
    Free Member

Interesting to see how many teachers are able to carry on working into their 60s and beyond. I am 60 later this year and have worked in early years education as a nursery assistant for almost 20 years. Sadly experience counts for nothing in the current climate and my childcare diploma is no longer a valid qualification – I guess box-ticking didn’t feature as highly back then 👿 I have 2 years’ grace to update my qualification . . . at almost 60? No thanks.

timba
    Free Member

My French teacher joined the British Army in 1940, and he was well into his 60s when he was teaching me

mrwhyte
    Free Member

We have a supply teacher in today who is 80! We were guessing her age in the staff room, and she came out at a respectable mid 60’s. The cover supervisor then told us how old she actually was. Granted she is not full time teaching, but to still be doing cover at 80, is super impressive.

miketually
    Free Member

I’m not sure how old our oldest member of of teaching staff is but one of our caretakers turned 70 at the weekend and one of the cleaners is older than him.

In theory, my youngest kid finishes uni when I turn 50. I think that’ll be me done in the classroom.

Keva
    Free Member

when I was at school several of the teachers were in their 60s. One was well into his 70s and used to come in part time to cover occasionally. His nickname was Bonehead and he was one of those right old school knobberscratchers who thought it was still 1955 in 1985.

my mum is 76 and still teaches privately at home.

BigJohn

Most schools are under pressure to get rid of teachers at the top of the pay scale. Naturally, this tends to be the older teachers. As a consequence the schools are staffed with newly-qualifieds who cannot cope with the staggering workloads and it’s the children who suffer.

The teaching unions are bloody useless at stopping the disgraceful treatment of valuable experienced staff who are undermined and bullied to breaking point and almost universally end up on extended stress-related sick leave.

Any guesses at what Mrs BigJohn used to do for a living?

tiggs121
    Free Member

I am currently sitting in front of my class – I am 55!!

miketually
    Free Member

Most schools are under pressure to get rid of teachers at the top of the pay scale. Naturally, this tends to be the older teachers.

I’m not 40 yet, but I’ve been top of the pay scale for a few years despite a couple of years out of teaching.

BigJohn

How long are you signed off for?

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I love these threads (30 and considering becoming a physics teacher)

johndoh
    Free Member

One of my little girls’ teachers is well into her 60s. And **** useless too.

miketually
    Free Member

How long are you signed off for?

Me? I’m not.

I love these threads (30 and considering becoming a physics teacher)

I was a primary teacher to begin with and hated it. A level ICT was okay, but got old very quickly. I’m now full-time A level physics and it’s (mostly) great.

ads678

There’s a teacher in my kids school who teaches reception who’s in her 60’s.

My wife is thinking of going into teaching Physics and shes 41. She currently a Civil Engineer and hates it.

ThePinkster

Mrs. Pinkster was teaching until she was 67 for a bit extra pocket money, then she got P’d off with all the paperwork and quit.

deadkenny
    Free Member
    footflaps

I was taught Maths at Secondary School by W W Sawyer, who was in his 70s at the time, and came in to teach us…

Toasty

Madame Gazelle is 63 and used to teach even when Daddy Pig was at school.

deadkenny
    Free Member

When I was in primary school every adult I assumed must have been in their 60s anyway (they were probably in their 20s 😀 ). Even teenagers looked really old.

Edric64
    Free Member

My dad did supply until a stroke stopped him a month short of 74

Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)

The topic ‘Oldest Teacher’ is closed to new replies.