Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 76 total)
  • Oldest Possession – Purchased New – Used Often – What You Got You'd Really Miss?
  • bungle

Pint-sized china mug bought in Denmark as a lad. Now 45+ years old and used every day, still looks new. Keeps cold stuff cold and hot stuff hot.

wordnumb
    Free Member

14″ Zildjian New-Beat hihat cymbals. Had them since age 14, I will cry when they eventually break.

alexpalacefan

Swiss army knife.

APF

winston
    Free Member

Bottle opener in the shape of a clog painted with fresian cow markings.
    given to me by my wife before she was my wife on her first visit to UK to see me after we met travelling. 20 years old and used to open pretty much every home drunk beer I’ve had since……so everyday then!

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

A pair of Oxfords I’ve had since I was sixteen. My first pair of bespoke shoes. Still amazing. Sadly, the cobblers that made them recently closed.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Which hospital was that then flashy?

mintimperial

Animal beanie, bought in 1991, still my favourite hat. Wife keeps trying to “lose” it for me, will start divorce proceedings if she succeeds.

Also a Mint Sauce mug from around the same time, and a Cool Tool but that doesn’t get used much nowadays.

RustySpanner

Wolf motorcycle jacket, red.
    My first one.

New from Skid Lids on Deansgate in 1986.
    Not fit me for years, but I can’t throw it out…..

tjagain

My first new big rucksack – bought in the late 70s, now relegated to shopping duties only

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Arf, DD! 🙂

Duckers, in Oxford. I’ve got a pair of boots and a semi-brogue from them as well. Now trying to find a suitable cobbler to look after these.

GlennQuagmire
    Free Member

Technics hi-fi – bought 30 (or so) years ago with cash saved from a part-time job.

Still used every day and sounds fantastic 🙂

mattyfez

Corsair HX620w PC power supply.

Just about to celebrate its 11th birthday, it’s been through 4 full computer rebuilds and still going strong.

RustySpanner

Hang on, forgot the records!

First I bought with my own money was Rocking All Over The World, by the mighty Quo.

Still gets played.

mattyfez

Oh and a pair of Tannoy m1 bookshelf speakers, God knows when I bought them, they must be getting on for 18 to 20 years old… not super expensive but I can’t justify upgrading them, they bring much joy.

GlennQuagmire
    Free Member

Oh and a pair of Tannoy m1 bookshelf speakers, God knows when I bought them, they must be getting on for 18 to 20 years old… not super expensive but I can’t justify upgrading them, they bring much joy

20 years? That’s nowt 😉

@mattyfez: You gave me some good advice regarding PC upgrades – much appreciated, all going well 🙂

tomd
    Free Member

I did have a 15 yr old chef’s knife until last week, it was my oldest possession. Really nice quality and still sharp, with a lifetime guarantee. Wife broke it cutting dandelions out of the lawn 🙁

Maybe a patio would be lower maintenance and cheaper.

bikebouy
    Free Member

I have a Fender Jazzmaster from 1976, it’s in bits in the loft. Looks like this, except really grubby.. I will one day (been saying that for about 10 years now) fix it back up.

spooky_b329

‘Animal’ leather wallet.

Its a big old bulky thing but its been practically everywhere with me since I walked into a bike shop in Dorchester in my mid-teens, whatever I wanted was out of stock and so I ended up impulse buying this wallet at the till.

From memory it was about £30 which was a lot of dough for a 15 year old, I reckon its around 20 years old.

I’ve abused it so the card slots are all stretched and I alway leave loads of old receipts in there so can’t quite believe it hasn’t fallen to bits 🙂

eddiebaby
    Free Member

A linen tester in ’72.
    I still use it a lot on print jobs.
    And a couple of Thornton slide rules just to be bolshey.

tom200

Oh and a pair of Tannoy m1 bookshelf speakers, God knows when I bought them, they must be getting on for 18 to 20 years old… not super expensive but I can’t justify upgrading them, they bring much joy

I have the same, got them on my 18th birthday. Probably my oldest possession.

mattsccm
    Free Member

A pair of Scarpa Bronzo boots bought in 1980. Used a few times a week in the winter months.

seadog101

The oldest thing I own, that was bought with my own money, and is in use if rarely, is my Ibanez M310 Acoustic guitar. Like This:

I was about 18, and it was second hand already, so at least 30years old or more now. I stretched my meagre pennies to get the £100 together for it. When I got it home and had a good closer look I realised that it was much more than a £100 guitar. A lovely thing to play, sounds great, and looks brilliant.

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

Oh and a pair of Tannoy m1 bookshelf speakers, God knows when I bought them, they must be getting on for 18 to 20 years old

Lost my 30 yo Tannoy speakers in a house flood boxing day 2015, but still have my Michell Engineering Syncro deck.

20 years? That’s nowt

10-15 yrs ago a friend bought some Tannoy speakers from the 60’s in a 2nd hand shop for £25, they go on ebay for £500. Apparently from the time when most quality recording studios had Tannoy speakers as standard.

ElShalimo

Black leather jeans belt. Got it when I was 16, I’m 45 now and still wear it most days. It’s more brown creases than black now.

Marantz CD-52 mkII from 1992. Still sounds great.

Nipper99
    Free Member

Snap On 1/2 inch drive ratchet – I’ve had since I was an apprentice – 34 years.

TheFlyingOx

Dennis Wick 4B cornet mouthpiece. Bought when I was just learning to play, aged about 6. Still got it 30-something years later, still use it when I play cornet.

onlysteel
    Free Member

Linn Sondek LP12, 30 years old. Admittedly it’s only the plinth that’s original now. Lots of vinyl from late seventies.

petrieboy

My mission 760i speakers are now relegated to garage duties since I went “home theatre” in the living room but still used most days – bought them in the early 90’s with money saved from my paper round. I’ve still got the CD player too but that’s in the loft.

I’ve got Ron hill tracksters that are 20 years old. Indeed my “Sunday best” ones (the ones with the least paint on them) are at least 15 years old

bob_summers

Snap On 1/2 inch drive ratchet – I’ve had since I was an apprentice – 34 years

Me too, quite a few tools still in frequent use from my apprenticeship including? some I made myself.
    Otherwise a 1990 Les Paul custom, bought on the never-never once I was earning (shudder to think what interest I paid) and an Audiolab hi-fi amp. Loads of vinyl too, still played

Whathaveisaidnow
    Free Member

MyBike windstopper SS jersey, ace this time of year, now about 17 years old and still going strong, i’ll cry the day the zip goes, it has one small hole and that’s it…amazing bit of kit!

mattyfez

Black leather jeans belt. Got it

What is it with belts, I’ve bought several in my time, but the only one that’s lasted is one I pinched off my dad years ago. And God only knows how long he had it for.. Newer ones seem to break at the buckle or look incredibly shit after a year or two.

slowoldgit
    Free Member

A black leather belt that my mother made about thirty years ago. I think she was doing leather stuff as physio therapy. Too late to ask now.

jimbobo
    Free Member

My first electric guitar, bought at age 12 with money left by my great aunt. 23 years later, still play it

sandboy

My Grandad’s Record block plane. I’ve had it since he retired in 1987 and its had a new iron but the rest is original. Every time I use it i remember who’s it was.

mattyfez

@Glen

You gave me some good advice regarding PC upgrades – much appreciated, all going well

Happy to hear it, long may she run!

ratcatcher

Wavy Davy shifters not doing 10 or 11 speed !

CountZero

Probably the oldest thing I own, that I bought with money I earned, and now approaching its half-century.
    I had it repaired and serviced very recently after the mainspring broke, and I’m wearing it every day.

Can’t remember what it cost, but I was earning less than a tenner a week in ’71, which is when I think I bought it, so probably no more than £25-50, seen well-worn ones going for over €1000 now.
    A very treasured thing.

TheDTs
    Free Member

I have a pair of, Scott racer ski poles, the black and yellow ones.
    Had them for about 20 years at a guess, which is pretty good.
    Nothing special about them, newer poles would probably be lighter and stronger but they refuse to die.

pyranha

I’ve a Casio fx451 that I bought when I started university in October 1985 and still in daily use. Cost the same as a week’s rent.

integerspin
    Free Member

When I was six, in 1965, I bought a 1916 shell in an oak frame which had
    been used as a gong. I bought it from a local junk shop for sixpence;-)

It was on my paint mixing bench for many years, I used to stuff bit’s of rag with paint on in it. It’s still used.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 76 total)

The topic ‘Oldest Possession – Purchased New – Used Often – What You Got You'd Really Miss?’ is closed to new replies.