Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Oldest bike component still in REGULAR use?
  • bigyinn
    Free Member

Thought i’d ask the Q having recently refitted an M735 short cage XT rear mech from c1993 from the spares box, hasnt been used for enarly 10 years and still works well.
    Also still running drive side Deore DX crankarm, again c1993.

Whats the oldest bit of kit you ride with? (Excluding riders!)

trail_rat
    Free Member

i guess the frame …. 1990s puch frame/forks on my fixie

2unfit2ride
    Free Member

I bought my first set of middleburn cranks about ten, maybe twelve years ago, they still look like new.
    No other component has ever come close…

trailmonkey

rider 8)

Filthy
    Free Member

87 muddy fox frame, nothing on it apart from the seat binder is original though

will
    Free Member

Was thinking about this the other day, afraid mine aren’t worth mentioning, so i wont 😆

bigyinn
    Free Member

My RS3 cranks lasted about 3 years, chocolate metal….

mrmo
    Free Member

i have a set of Mavic wishbone shifters, c’94.

paulosoxo
    Free Member

Old red shimano DX spds 🙂

gee
    Free Member

1997 King Headset. Been through 8 frames. The first decent component I ever bought when I got into MTBing and it’s now on my SS.

GB

boriselbrus
    Free Member

1990 XT rear mech. Sill in regular use on the hack bike and still works perfectly.

Harry_the_Spider

paulosoxo – Member
    Old red shimano DX spds

Mine too. They must be 12 years old, but the paint fell off them after about 3 weeks.

sillyoldman

Shimano DX BMX pedals – got a few pairs and some must be over 25 years old.

joe1983
    Free Member

1960s frame on fixed road bike

nukeproof
    Free Member

Funnily enough mine aren’t strictly bike components as they are a pair of Spez Sport SPD shoes and Spez gloves: both circa 1999 and both used every week.

antigee

not regular but old and reliable – on saturday i cursed as trackpump fell to pieces deflating tyre along the way, cursed a lot when Mrs antigee’s 3 month old pump had the twisty end and rubber grommet missing, multiple and apparently totally unacceptable cursing when shock pump converter thread refused to screw on valve SO ……..

my circa 1978 Raleigh road framefit pump – just pushed it onto the valve – some good hard adrenaline backed pumping and out i went – at last and i did get back before dark

reggiegasket
    Free Member

Azonic bars I bought in Aus in 96

oldgrump08
    Free Member

Hope hubs/Mavic rims – bought s/h more than 7 years ago, on their third frame…

crazy-legs

The front mech on my CX is a Shimano 600 (pre-Ultegra) which was on my first road bike which I bought in 1994. Kept it when I sold the frame a few years ago (it was the only original component left) and then used it when I built my CX up about 2-3 years ago.

bigyinn
    Free Member

reggiegasket

Azonic bars I bought in Aus in 96

Change them NOW! Unless you want to be know as reggiecasket!

markenduro
    Free Member

4500 mile old chain on the sutra, and the rest of the sutra, currently my oldest bike

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Oldest bike component still in REGULAR use?’ is closed to new replies.