Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Older Marzocchi gurus- advice needed!
  • BruiseWillies
    Free Member

Just to give a bit of background, I recently got hold of a 1999 Gary Fisher Aquila frameset for a very nice price. It came with a set of RS Jett T2 forks that were pretty much junk. I think these were the 75mm travel ones, the unsagged a-c length being about 425mm.
    I also have a set of Marzocchi Bomber Flylight Z4s stripped but only needing new bushes.
    These are a 100mm fork, bt I seem to have it in my head that they can be taken down to 80mm travel. Am I imagining this?? If not, how would one achieve it?

mindmap3
    Free Member

I could well be wrong, but I only remember older Bombers of that era could be changed between 100mm and 130mm. These were typically Z1’s or similar.

It was pretty easy to do, you just changed the springs. You’re best bet would be to speak to Windwave and see if there are any old timers there who may be able to help.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

If you can do it, it’ll be a case of swapping a spacer from the tops of the legs top the bottom of the legs (underneath the cartridge I think). Best bet is to take the top caps off and see if there’s a 20mm spacer underneath.

You’ll probably be able to do it anyway, you can make your own spacers. If you cna find pictures/diagrams of your fork internals, that would help.

Thrustyjust
    Free Member

I have a new set of bushes in their packaging if you need them. Email me at (username)athotmaildotcom.

TheChunk
    Free Member

This any good or is it an older z4? I expect you could use rubber / elastomer spacers if you couldn’t get hold of the additional top out springs. Maybe salvage some internals out of the Jett?

http://marzocchiworkshop.blogspot.co.uk/2013/02/travel-reduction-z4-mxc-series.html?m=1

spacehopper

It can be done yes..

You’ll need some extra 19mm top out springs if they’re air forks..

And if they’re coil some 165 mm main springs too (as opposed to 185 in the 100mm travel forks)

Ukbikestore is the place to buy them from…

trail_rat
    Free Member

And if you cant find the right length springs , i had good results cutting the springs and flatting the ends on the bench , grinder then using the offcuts for the top out springs.

BruiseWillies
    Free Member

Thanks all, after a lot of careful google wording, I actually came across the Marzocchiworkshop article. LOADS easier than I was expecting! Activesport have the 19mm springs, otherwise I can just turn a couple of PTFE spacers.
    Any reason I couldn’t go down to 75mm?

trail_rat
    Free Member

None at all ,

I had 65mm z1 bams back in 99 as i wanted to lower the front end on my dj bike.

eviljoe
    Free Member

Excellent, was planning to do the same with my old z1s

I actually came across the Marzocchiworkshop article.

Do you have a link for that Mr Willies?

BruiseWillies
    Free Member

Mr Joe,
    Here is what I found;
    http://marzocchiworkshop.blogspot.co.uk/2013/02/travel-reduction-z4-mxc-series.html
    I actually turned some 25mm spacers this morning, so when I get the other bits I need, I’ll jam them in and let you know how they feel.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Older Marzocchi gurus- advice needed!’ is closed to new replies.