Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Older Iphones
  • st

Looks like I've missed out ona reasonable deal on a seocndhand Iphone 3GS but a guy at work has offered me his 3g version at what appears to be a great price.

As far as I can see the 3gs has a better camera, multi tasking and faster gubbins iside.

The question is as a 6 month ish replacement for my Blackberry / ITouch will I miss out on much just going for the 3g version instead of looking out for a 3gs?

anything else I should know?

Ta.

GrahamS

MrsGrahamS's 3G is practically crippled after updating it to iOS4. Constantly jitters or slows to a crawl. Whereas 3Gs works lovely.

So I'd avoid it personally.

joemarshall
    Free Member

Crap gps. No compass. No operating system upgrades I think. Probably at some point newer applications will stop being made for it. Not sure but it might be a bit slower.

Be alright for six months probably though.

geoffj

I have a 3G and its great. Sure its a bit slower, and there will come a time when it run the latest apps, but its as good now as when I bought it 18 months ago. I can't justify the upgrade to a 4 yet – it still does what I need very well.

st

Hmm, thanks for the comments. Wasn't planning on upgrading to os4. My currrent contract expires /come due for upgrade at the end of the year at which point I'd swap the Blackberry for a new phone of some description. The Iphone would be to test it out for a while although having said that I wouldn't be satisfied even for a shorter period if it was too much of a compromise.

CountZero

I went from a 3G to a 4, and, while I loved the 3G, IMHO, I wouldn't go for a 3G now unless the compromises were totally acceptable, a second-hand 3Gs would be much more usable.

richcc
    Free Member

I've also gone from 3G to 4. Only realise how slow 3G was now the 4 is much faster. Battery life was also much worse on the 3G though it was 18 months old. Sell a kidney and buy a 4!

Cougar

MrsGrahamS's 3G is practically crippled after updating it to iOS4.

Have a fix for that.

santacruzsi
    Free Member

A 3G is not a bad phone, don't think camera differs between a 3g and 3gs, but suppose you don't buy it for the camera. If thats what you wanted i'd buy a Sony Ericsson! Battery life on any phone is poor , you'd have to charge it every night. I had a 3G and it was fine, loved it – sold it to my sister. I wouldn't bother upgrading the software though to iOS4, slows it down a lot, and is not better for it. I have just upgraded to the Iphone 4 which is a fair bit quicker to the 3G. Still if you've not had either, you won't know the difference. I'd recommend one. (and then buy Angry Birds game!!!)

GrahamS

Thanks Cougar I'll give that a go.

OP: the trouble with not upgrading to OS4 is that lots of apps will move to OS4 only.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Older Iphones’ is closed to new replies.