Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • (Old) VW Golf not starting after getting wet
  • Aus
    Free Member

Have a 1.4CL 1996 VW Golf – runs great. Mrs A drove through flooded section of the road a couple of weeks back (behind a big 4×4 which she says caused a few waves) and the car ground to a halt straight after.

I left it 3-4 hours, sprayed WD40 around electrical bits of the engine, and it eventually started, drove home (1 mile) and it was running lumpy with white non-oily smoke out of the exhaust. I left it a week (and it’s been v cold), then sprayed WD40 in/around all electrical connections in the engine bay and added a bit of Wynns DryFuel to the petrol tank.

It now turns over fine but won’t start. Immediately when I turn the key off after turning it over, it briefly splutters/fires but dies promptly.

Any clues what to look at?

Many thanks

iolo
    Free Member

If it splutters sounds like a fuel problem.

BadlyWiredDog

Lots of options, but I’d start by taking a look in the air-box and making sure there’s not a bunch of water in there and that the air filter’s okay.

Pop the HT leads off the spark-plus and get some water dispersant (WD40) into the caps.

Take the plugs out individually and turn the engine over with them grounded out on the engine to make sure there’s a spark, if not you need to methodically work your way through the ignition chain and make sure it’s all dry and connected. If you’re getting sparks at all four plugs, it’s likely to be something on the fuelling side.

But I’d start with the air-box as it’s the logical point where a bunch of water might have got in.

molgrips
    Free Member

I’d say HT leads too. I used to have an old knackered Passat (no, not that one) that was missing its engine undertray. Whenever I drove through a puddle it’d almost stall, but then improve as I drove on and the hot engine dried it out.

But as said – if water is inside the HT lead caps or worked its way into old knackered insulation on them you would have trouble. BWD’s suggestion will work. If a petrol engine splutters after getting wet, this is highly likely imo. Is it old enough to have a mechanical distributor? Google for images or post one up – of where the wires from the spark plugs go.

Aus
    Free Member

thanks – will do HT leads now. Airbox all dry and good.

trail_rat
    Free Member

and it was running lumpy with white non-oily smoke out of the exhaust

suggests there was water inside where it shouldnt have been exiting in the form of steam.

Id do a spark check and id drain the tank and lines + change fuel and air filter- once a paper filter gets wet it is very restrictive/a ball of mush in the bottom.

But it doesnt take much water inside to spanner an engine.

A leak down test would give a fairly good indicator of damage but unlikely you have the gear for that.

pictonroad

DO NOT hold the HT leads when cranking…

you know, just in case you don’t know already.

bigyinn
    Free Member

Just hope that it hasn’t ingested any water. Although if the air filter was dry, you should be ok.
    Probably something electrical got too wet…

jecca
    Free Member

ignition coil pack module? it’s a v common issue with those. the module splits and allows water in.

Aus
    Free Member

thanks all. OK, air filter and box bone dry. Air filter not deformed. Plugs out – grubby but not obviously wet. Have cleaned each plug, WD40 on lead and plug and back in.

Cranked over twice, poss seems to be trying to fire a bit more enthusiastically, slight whiff of petrol so stopped for a bit. Spluttered/grumbled to life briefly once I turned key off.

Will look at coil pack now.

molgrips
    Free Member

I wouldn’t drain the tank personally, at least not yet. How would water get in, if fuel wasn’t getting out? Maybe at the filler cap, but how submerged was the car? This isn’t a landy crossing rivers.

hexhamstu
    Free Member

DO NOT hold the HT leads when cranking…

you know, just in case you don’t know already

Wish you were there the day I did it.

jecca
    Free Member

Re coil pack. U might not be able to see the split without taking it off. It tends to split on the underside out of view / torch and a mirror?

T1000
    Free Member

Do you have a garage that’s not full of bikes(accepted that will be unusual for stw). Put car in garage with a fan heater on low blowing under engine bay with bonnet popped slightly open go and drink tea or something else worthwhile for a few hour and then try starting.

johndoh
    Free Member

Lots of options, but I’d start by taking a look in the air-box and making sure there’s not a bunch of water in there and that the air filter’s okay.

Was my initial thought – water has been sucked up through the air filter and into the engine.

Aus
    Free Member

thank you thank you. Coil pack investigated, bit of water/damp – both to dry, WD40 and it’s started – will give it a good run 😀

unfitgeezer
    Free Member

You should change your wife or failing that give her points a twist

Aus
    Free Member

Ran well, still a bit of white smoke (not oily or smelly) from exhaust but pulling fine, smooth through the revs, good idle, starts happily so looking promising.

molgrips
    Free Member

A good run might help dry it out now. Although white smoke whilst running well.. hmm.. could just be steam on a cold day?

MaryHinge
    Free Member

Also pop the distributor cap off and spray WD40 inside it and on the outside and the HT leads.

I used to have to do this once a month on an old car during the damp winter months. It would then start immediately.

johnners
    Free Member

Although white smoke whilst running well.. hmm.. could just be steam on a cold day?

Could be water in the rear box, they take a while to get properly hot. A good run will sort it if that’s what it is.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘(Old) VW Golf not starting after getting wet’ is closed to new replies.