Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Old vice – lead paint? Will I die?
  • thenorthwind

Just started cleaning up an old steel vice with an angle grinder and a brush wheel. Then it occurred to me that sometimes old things have lead paint on them – heard of it for doors and the like, but not metal. Is it a possibility? Should I be worried? Ways of testing?

mattyfez

Don’t eat it, or snort lines of it, possibly wear a dust mask and clean up properly.

footflaps

Not a risk to adults, only small children.

thenorthwind

Not a risk to adults, only small children

Really? I knew they were more sensitive to it but…

kayak23

Your odds are good, if it’s your only vice.
    Wear a decent dust mask though obvs.

maccruiskeen

Ways of testing?

You can get little testing kits from decorators merchants (or online) for about a fiver

dragon
    Free Member

If you have to take it off use a dust mask. But lead paint is flipping ace at its job, so I’d leave it on unless you really, really need to take it off.

thenorthwind

Your odds are good, if it’s your only vice.

😀

Right, will wait til I have a new respirator, which was imminent anyway and do it outside, but not take it the extremes I’ve read elsewhere, which were like dealing with asbestos. Cheers all.

maccruiskeen

using a chemical stripper is probably smarter. Using a cup brush throws the stuff all over the place, so unless its a space you can then clean up really well then the dust and the problem is around all the time.

footflaps

Really? I knew they were more sensitive to it but…

A small amount of lead paint ingested by an infant can cause significant brain damage, but an adult, whose brain is fully developed, is much more robust and would have to consume a hell of a lot, so one bit of DIY is pretty much negligible risk. NB I’ve heat gunned off all the lead paint in my Victorian house (and breathed most of it in) and am still alive…

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Old vice – lead paint? Will I die?’ is closed to new replies.