Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Old top end carbon vs new bottom end
  • joespencer33
    Free Member

So I’m looking around for a second hand carbon road bike at the moment and I’ve had a thought having seen an 8 year old giant tcr slr team, a 4 grand bike at the time: How would a top end carbon frame of 8 years ago compare to a bottom(ish) end frame (eg giant tcr advanced 3) of the last couple of years?

Wookster

I’d guess that the new bottom end would be better? Specialized for example drop the S-works frame down to the top end normal bike the following year. ( or the used to! )

8 years is a long time development wise in the Carbon bike arms race!

br
    Free Member

8 years could be a lot of miles/rides, condition is everything.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Difficult to generalise. My 09 Scott CR1 is <1kg, my 16 Supersix was 1.2kg iirc.

Also depends what you can get a 8 year old £4k bike for.

velocipede
    Free Member

Personally, I’d go with the new one, especially from the better value brands. You can’t go wrong with something like a Planet x pro carbon or EC130 and you’re getting the warranty cover too….

I’ve gone both ways and on balance I’d say the new one is always the best option…..

(Although all my latest bikes are made of metal – I’ve gone full circle!)

TiRed

If it’s not very expensive, I’d buy it. Giant have been at the cutting edge of carbon frames for years. Assuming it’s an Advanced SL with T800 weave, it will be a fabulous bike. Bottom end Giant carbon bikes are now very good. Giant ditched the “composite” range and saved the money by swapping to alloy steerer tubes instead.

I’d definitely go for the older Giant if it’s running decent Ultegra or Dura Ace with external cables (Shimano internal 10 speed cables is not so good, fixed on 11 speed).

EDIT: If it’s this one I’d definitely buy it! Check the length of the cut seat tube.

joespencer33
    Free Member

It is that one TiRed!
    Must say I’m tepted given its got new running gear on it…

TiRed

Check the fork recall first. But a great bike.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Old top end carbon vs new bottom end’ is closed to new replies.