Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Old Thule roof rails install
  • epic511
    Free Member

First of all I’m new to this forum so I’m not sure if I should be posting this here or in the general chat section, sorry if i got it wrong.

I recently got a deal on some roof rails and a bike rack. I have attempted to install the rails once, but since they are old am unable to find any instructions online. I have a Scion Xa as a car.

One strange thing with these is on the bottom of the clips there is some type of pin, about 1.5 cm long. This looks like it could go in a hole that was drilled in a car. That seems like the only possibility to me as it prevents the door from closing. One of my neighbors mentioned it looked like something a rubber pad would attach to.

How safe is this? I am comfortable using something slightly sketchy, but dont want to do anything to damage my car or bike.

If anyone can find instructions to this I would be very grateful, but any help at all is welcomed.

This one is a close up of the mechanism

The weird clip thingy

leffeboy

Looks like those 4 rubber pads on the ground in that top picture might fit into the slot that the pin is on. Do the pads have matching hole? The whole thing then looks like it might then clamp to a roof rail

shifter
    Free Member

The rubber bits fit under the feet to protect (sort of) the roof. The bracket wraps around under the top of the door “frame” and the pin locates vertically upwards into a corresponding hole. If you’ve got the right foot pack for your car that is.

shifter
    Free Member

ratherbeintobago

Is there a part number on the feet?

slackboy

The roof bars/feet need to be compatible with your car, it’s not a universal fitting.

The Thule website suggests they don’t sell any roof bars that fit your car.

https://www.thule.com/en-us/us/roof-rack/car-racks?q=PcNLitzyw

BigJohn

Those feet are the same as the ones for my old Saab 900.
    Get down to your nearest motor factor, or halfords and they’ll show you what will fit. I’ve been known to adapt feet using a vice and hammer. If there’s enough “tuck under” you won’t need a pin but if not, you will. As I found trying to fit the ones from my R reg 5 series to a V reg golf.

BigJohn

Check out the roof rail pack for Toyota Yaris/Vitz. Isn’t the Scion Xa based on these?

epic511
    Free Member

Wow thanks for the hep everyone! Im going to pass by some sort of shop to see if they have some different feet or see if i can adapt them. I saw where the rubber pads go, the pin was my source of confusion. Thanks!

epic511
    Free Member

The feet dont have a part number on them however the rubber pads do. It is 853-0642-26 After a google search these appear to be the for the 400, 400xt and 400xtr towers, whatever that means. After some more internet scavenging I found this But still am not sure what part number the foot would use. Maybe Ill look up the kit for the yaris and see if that works. Thanks everyone!

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Old Thule roof rails install’ is closed to new replies.