Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 86 total)
  • Old Swinley
  • teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Was in Camberley today so took the chance for a quick spin at Swinley. Parked in a different spot and came in a back way where lots of great old stuff used to be – and its still there. Had great fun on lots of narrow, tight trails and quite a few drops before doing most of the Red.

The only problem was trying to find my way back!!

Amazing warren of old narrow trails

[must be a bit unfit though as labyrinth seemed harder work than normal – but the bermy run from the top that starts to the right of deerstalker was a lot of fun!)

weeksy

Did that last weekend racing with Gorrick and the weekend before with a mate. Great fun.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

I was driving past there and saw the racing which inspired me to pop over – you will understand which Old Bits I was referring to. I did bits of the race course with the drops before the descent down towards B’moor

Quite a few bits of the red I didnt recognise and obviously (as I havent been there for over a year) the start of the red is different. Poignant moment passing the memorial especially as I have more confidence to hit the jumps on that section now. I thought that bit was in the 30s before, but perhaps the numbers have changed now? There seemed to be a whole climbing section missing to me…

weeksy

A few bits have changed, new sections added like the old tank traps etc.

deadkenny
    Free Member

Most the old stuff is still there, the few times I take a look these days. A few bits less ridden than they used to be, but I can still do just about my old loop avoiding fresh cobbles generally. Only really touch Seagull and maybe Tank Traps for the one week it’s open in the year. Sadly some nice bits in Crowthorne got logged, but there’s plenty more. My old route did do Whole Nine Yards the other way though and one section is part of the official stuff going the other way. The “alpine” bit is a bit chopped up and a route cutting across has cobble trails going across it and people have given up riding across. Tend to go play over the fence round Car Crash.

Squirrel

I used to ride around Swinley 3 or 4 times a week before they built the new trails. Ruined it for me and rarely go now. It’s great to hear the old names again. Nostalgia eh……….

DezB
    Free Member

Labyrinth! Cool trail, haven’t been there in ages. Good in the depths of a frosty winter, so hopefully a trip up will be made soon.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Spent a lot of time near Corkscrew and the Bomb hole drops. Two drops on both that I would like to master.

The big bermy route to the right of Deerstalker was great fun too.

weeksy

Spent a lot of time near Corkscrew and the Bomb hole drops. Two drops on both that I would like to master.

The big bermy route to the right of Deerstalker was great fun too.

I didn’t do the bomb hole drops last week as i was off to BPW 3 days later, it wasn’t that i expected to crash.. but you never know 🙂

Me, a mate and my 8 year old will be there on Sat around exactly where we’re thinking for a good 2-3 hours if you’re coming over and want someone to natter and talk rubbish to
    We’ll be mostly practicing skills/whatever with the little man more than riding trails etc.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Thx weekly. Can’t make Sat but would love to meet at some time.

first drop to master is start of corkscrew then the one with the log edge over at bomb holes which requires more commitment by the look of things

weeksy

first drop to master is start of corkscrew then the one with the log edge over at bomb holes which requires more commitment by the look of things

The one mid/late Corkscrew is harder at the moment, it’s a rooty step-down, but if you ‘pop’ it a little then it’s absolutely effortless. The start one is a little more rooty on landing area though i admit.

the log over bomb-hole is honestly completely rollable… i watched my mate roll it about 4 times last week. The only minor downside is that you need to pay attention slightly to your back wheel as he was getting a little lift on it, but nothign major honestly…. It’s considerably easier than it looks.

(p.s. i’ve never seen you ride, so i’m not saying “go do it, you’ll be fine” hahahaha. )

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

I had no problem on corkscrew itself until jumping off the very final root and ending up in the bush on the LHS! 😳 oh and splitting my trousers shifting in the saddle 😯

I was on my own so didn’t fancy taking any risks in either – well that’s my excuse. Seen YT clips of people riding the drop at the top of C’screw and looks like nothing. Like all these things juts need to do it once.

acidtest
    Free Member

You’d be able to do that drop no probs @teamhurtmore. You basically just carry on going the same speed or faster as you approach it, arse over the back a bit, you land at the bottom of the ramp and then sharp right into the corkscrew. As always, I have a video!

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FYR217rhu2c[/video]

weeksy

That’s Tank traps ? Whilst similar to corkscrew, not the same section.

acidtest
    Free Member

My bad then, the last bit on tank traps is called cork screw on Strava. Where’s the other one?

weeksy

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GJVJimdiewU[/video]

The trickiest section is at 1min 11 on this vid, it’s more than it was when the vid was taken.

Corkscrew is over the Crowthorne side of things. If you’re doing the red, you come out of a woody section and then you’ve got a Fireroad approach to the trail entry, the fireroad is very off camber and has a big telegraph pole in the middle of it, you then go up into a rooty section…. (sorry i don’t know the numbers)

Well, just before you get to the rooty section, between the pole and there, there’s a gate to your right, over the other side of that gate is the start of Crowthorne Woods Gorrick races… All that stuff there is what i’d call ‘old Swinley’… Corkscrew is in there.

acidtest
    Free Member

Nice one, I’ll seek it out next time I’m over there. Cheers.

jimdubleyou

https://www.opencyclemap.org/?zoom=16&lat=51.37525&lon=-0.75942&layers=B0000

Slightly out of date now as they’ve moved Red1 to be Red32 (?)

natrix
    Free Member

All that stuff there is what i’d call ‘old Swinley’

Why not call it by it’s name – Crowthorne Woods? 🙄

Then, ‘old Swinley’ could refer to the old trails (not covered in ginger stuff) that can still be found in Swinley…

weeksy

Why not call it by it’s name – Crowthorne Woods?

Then, ‘old Swinley’ could refer to the old trails (not covered in ginger stuff) that can still be found in Swinley…

Because he started the thread and was calling it that… i called it Crowthorne Woods too in the posts, however you can’t deny that even though they’re now split both by the fence and by the style/trails, they are one and the same to anyone who rode there 5-10 years back.

When you did a day there you’d do all the other stuff at the end of the Fire-road too from Go-Ape, that’s not part of ‘Swinley’ now either, but is still the same forest, just now not regularly used as it’s not part of Blue/Red/Blue… so most people will have never known it as Swinley.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Didnt know what to call it – just the old swinley trails to me!

Weeksy – it looks so easy on your vid – dont know why you mention 1:11 after that. That’s just a wee root step versus what seems to me a more committing drop off at the start.

Thanks for the vid acidtest – I was confused by that section yestreday and juts realised that it was tank traps but just without the trees!!! I enjoyed that section, especially doing your trick and chasing two deer down part of it.

weeksy

Vids always look easier though don’t they. I’ve never been phased by the drop in at the start, but back in the day we’d regularly do 5-10 runs of Corkscrew when out playing.

acidtest
    Free Member

@teamhurtwood, is it just me or does there seem to be a lot more deer about this year??! Hardly saw any last year whilst out and about.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

True weeksy – the drop is one of those things that I came across as a newbie with my old HT and so it has a bit of a thing on me. I am gradually ticking these all off as my confidence grows. On the very final bump there is a root that I took some air off but positioned my bike badly ie straight into the bush that isnt on your video!!

Acid, yes there are loads around at the moment and badgers!!

I am glad I have worked out what that section was – I should have realised by the end (which is similar to Corkscrew).

weeksy

I’m there tomorrow about 3pm if you fancy a play ?

This old trail was running sweet today.

mrlebowski
    Free Member

Those of you who are heading out to Swinners…

Can I ask a favour?

It’s really soft out there currently & there are far too many “desire” & Strava lines appearing (with the vegetation dying back) on some of the runs…..the Summer lines are still there – please try to keep them..

So could you please, please not use these “cheat” lines & if you see one appearing block it off with a couple of well placed sticks. Obviously any trail pixie work should be safe & considerate, but if we don’t try to keep the lines running nicely we will end up with 2m wide straight slop rather than some nice sinuous and twisty singletrack..

weeksy

No worries

thepurist

Mrlebowski I fear it’s a losing battle in some places. Back when I worked from home I’d spend time trying to sort out Satan’s Grotto, the labyrinth (when it had more switchbacks on the first climbing stretch) and the old trails to and from the manhole cover. No matter how many logs I dragged out of the woods they’d usually get moved or ridden around within a few days. Cudos to anyone who tries though.

steve17
    Free Member

I’m another one who loves the old Swinley. I often try to see how many trails I can ride without touching the official stuff. 20 miles is easily achieved.

New England is great but cheeky. The Twisty bit parallel to the fireroad on Blue route (Monaco?)

All 5 Downhillish routes – Original Deerstalker, Deerstalker right , BabyMaker , Does my Berm… , Axle Run and The trail with the traffic light.

As for Crowthorne, loads of stuff. Corkscrew is an absolute must. You can easily find 10-15 miles of constant singletrack and with Gorrick redesigning bits. Your spoilt between old & new.

Finally ‘Rollercoaster’ is always good fun. Loads of small drops probably kerb height but at speed great fun.

mrlebowski
    Free Member

@thepurist

Maybe, maybe not….every little bit helps.

& likewise kudos to those who give a bit back..

Scamper
    Free Member

Slowly discovering what I presume is old Swinley. Enjoyed riding the Sept Enduro stages too – loving the various drop offs at the end of the extension to Stickler DH

adsh
    Free Member

All this talk of drops on Corkscrew – start and end. Were they on the Crowthorne Gorrick XC. I recognise the end drop but for the life of me I cannot remember a drop at the start?

weeksy

I’m thinking not ADSH, unless it’s changed radically. But i couldn’t see another any further left where you’d assume it would be. So unless i’ve missed something too, maybe it’s been modified to make it less of a drop in. I recall back many years ago it being more difficult than it was recently… but couldn’t work out where… or thought i’d just got a lot better 😉

The rooty bit was on the Gorrick, about 3/4 of the way in Corkscrew, but depends how competent you are as to how much of an issue… i don’t recall it being as tricky when there previously, but it wasn’t ‘hard’ as such… just wasn’t expecting it.

bigdaddy

adsh, I was thinking the same! I raced last week and have raced there many times and can’t think of a drop on entry to corkscrew! maybe I was thinking of the trail ahead!

adsh
    Free Member

Thanks – was thinking I’d lost my marbles. The rooty bit on the Gorrick was fine for 2 laps but interesting on the final lap when going for it and slightly off line – got away with a slight burp

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

There are two entrances – one withan obvious drop and roots on the lip and one without. When I was up there it looked like the race track was further to the side with two roll in lines not actually corkscrew.

Can I clear things up – when people talk about Crowthorne Woods is that the area where corkscrew is (ie what I mistakenly called Old Swinley)?

Where is rollercoaster – sounds just what I need?

Cant make today weeksy sadly!

theotherjonv

don’t know if it was in the race or not, but if going to the corkscrew (proper corkscrew, not the end of Tank traps that some people call the corkscrew) from the fireroad by the quarry play area there’s a drop right at the start, even before you get into the twisty bit proper.

Nothing to it really but there’s a root across the top that prevents it eroding means it has a definite lip / step to it. You’d have to be glacially slow over it though to hook up a chainring, ie: you don’t have to fly off it!

right at the start of this vid which weeksy posted last week

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GJVJimdiewU[/video]

weeksy

Dunno mate, there seems to be lots of cool names, but i know very few of what they equate to in the real world.

I still get confused as to whether the long flat twisty blue is Stickler or something else beginnning with S

Babymaker and stuff also confused me with names as to which is which.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

there’s a drop right at the start, even before you get into the twisty bit proper.

Exactly, cant miss it.

Nothing to it really but there’s a root across the top that prevents it eroding means it has a definite lip / step to it. You’d have to be glacially slow over it though to hook up a chainring, ie: you don’t have to fly off it!

That’s what I need to understand!!

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 86 total)

The topic ‘Old Swinley’ is closed to new replies.