Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Old Soul, max fork length?
  • chives
    Free Member

Just picked up a pre-CEN Soul frame; can I run 140mm Fox Talas forks in it, or will I die? I have a pair of 2011 SID RLT’s (120mm) that I could run, if the longer fork’s going to tear the frame up? But it would be good to be able to tune down to 100mm for the twisty bits, & wind it out for the descents.

I won’t be dropping 6 feet to flat or undertaking massive gaps..

Any thoughts? I’m only asking as the frame’s as light as a fairies fart! 😀

wwaswas

130mm was the official limit. Email Cotic – they’re very helpful.

batman11
    Free Member

Pretty sure they where maxed at 130. But heard many did run the 140 option for trail riding. But having said that 120 is ment to be the sweat spot for them for quick handling and all round stuff.
    Bats.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    jairaj

Agree with the guys above. 120mm is supposed to be the sweet spot, I’d stick to that, 130mm max but heard of plenty people running the old one at 140mm.

tonyd

I run mine on a soft 130mm and it handles very well. I really wanted to go 120mm but the fork I had is/was 130mm. You’ll be grand!

blisterman1962
    Free Member

Interestingly though, all forks are not equal – a set of 140 RockShox come up about 10mm longer axle to crown length than the equivalent travel Fox.
    http://www.pinkbike.com/forum/listcomments/?threadid=78006

chiefgrooveguru

Yes, I pointed that out last time this came up! And more burly forks tend to be even longer axle-crown so some dropped Lyriks or 36s will be even taller.

chives
    Free Member

Thanks for the input folks. I’ll plumb for the SIDs I think, they’ll keep the build fairly light too. Just gotta wait for a few parts to turn up before the build.

mrmoofo

It is 130 mm – confirmed with Cy on mine – TBh it probably rides better at 120 /110
    Max rotor on the back is 180.
    203 doesn’t work – trust me !

chives
    Free Member

Thanks for the heads-up mrmoofo. Blimey – I’ve never run with anything bigger than a 160 on the rear – if I put a bigger one on I could probably steer it like a forklift (much to the annoyance of trail builders everywhere I should think)! 😆

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Old Soul, max fork length?’ is closed to new replies.