Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Old Snowboards is there a market for them?
  • elma
    Free Member

I’ve just been in the loft and realised i’ve got a new old stock
    Lamar 167 shotgun snowboard up there!

I bought this from low pressure in London in 1990 and never got round to taking it away with me.

Is there any sort of market for old snowboards or is it worth using it to see what it actually rides like.

I forgot my camera so i’ll take a pic later and put it up.

Iain

nickjb
    Free Member

I would imagine it won’t ride well. The technology has moved on. I quite fancy one of these:

mattsccm
    Free Member

I have a Burton that I bought in the States in early 91 as well as bindings. I have often wndered about flogging it.

Mugboo

My last used board fetched so little in eBay that the next one is going over my workbench with down lighters in it.

bigyinn
    Free Member

retroboard.com? 😆

stevomcd
    Free Member

There are retro-board sites out there, have a google (can’t remember any details right now).

Lamars were p*sh though… 😉

elma
    Free Member

This lamar looks great han’t got a clue how it rides. Might just mount it above the fireplace.
    Iain

shifter
    Free Member

Nickjb – do you know where those things come from?

DT78
    Free Member

I sold my old burton 7 for more than I bought it for…. Definite market

Markie
    Free Member

I lub my Rippey…

plumber
    Free Member

I still ride my 99 burton custom occasionally – excellent board for most things

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

Still got my first board, 1997/8 Airwalk Select (re-badged Oxygen IIRC). Survived coming off a roof rack on the autoroute at 80mph 😯 (thanks to Noahs Ark for re-bonding the corners) and I’ve kept it as a ‘beater’ board; if the conditions are cr@p, balding and rocky I don’t care if it gets trashed (though having spent most of our last ‘board holidays in Colorado that really hasn’t been an issue!).

*dusts off ancient factoid geekery* Didn’t Lamars use foam (not wood) cores, which was a bit, well, naff? I would have thought it would only have vintage/retro value if it was a classic make and model, which a foam-cored Lamar possibly isn’t?

SaxonRider

I have been out of the snowboard market for more than 10 years. In the same way that we might look at a 10-year-old mountain bike and identify it as ‘old’ very quickly, are there particular features that are obvious to the eye with a snowboard that mark them out as ‘old’? Or is it more the invisible technology?

mechmonkey
    Free Member

Not worth a thing. Technology moved on. DIY Split board project?

I_Ache
    Free Member

Build a ski bike!

http://www.instructables.com/id/Ski-Bike/

I have been meaning to do this for a few years, I have an old jump bike to use and just need to get hold of some Skis, board or blades to make it happen. I was going to do it this year but I’m still recovering from a broken leg so it would be unwise. I think a board would be better than skis as it is wider and all you have to do is lean to turn, should be much more stable.

mechmonkey
    Free Member

I think a board would be better than skis as it is wider and all you have to do is lean to turn, should be much more stable.

More stable perhaps but as there is much more lean required to get the weight over the edge then the majority of time you ride with a drifting sensation. Great fun.

I_Ache
    Free Member

Good point about the greater lean angle needed but I think skis will be too narrow and sketchy especially as people tend to use the front one to steer. I guess something in between for width and full length would be best.

shifter
    Free Member

Ski bike is the only good use for a pair of blades…

bigdawg
    Free Member

I had two sims faders (the jemma jameson ltd edition) sold one last year for £100 more than it was new… Obviously the craftsmanship and rideability of the board…

mechmonkey
    Free Member

One of the fat/phat/wide/pow skis is ideal for the job(cut in half to maintain the continuous sidecut), depending on conditions your’re planning to ride in. The steering front part is most effective at slow speed and with a more uprightriding position. As with a pedal bike, once speed increases then lean engle controls cornering and steering input is greatly reduced.

With a board-bike then the sensation is more of an easy drifting one, more of the time(rather pleasant). I suppose wider footpegs would be a simple way to make it easier to get on the edge but inherently that place will be hard to balance as the lean angle required is so large.

Build it.

GrahamS

Flog it on eBay for beer money (or charity!) Local pickup only. Job done.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Old Snowboards is there a market for them?’ is closed to new replies.