Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Old smart TV is now a bit crap, what to do?
  • lovewookie

I have an old 50″ LG smart TV which we’ve had for a few years.

as a TV it’s great, however the smart functions, even the not so smart functions like the tv guide functions are super slow, the netflix and amazon tv apps are a bit iffy too.
    I have an android box to run movie apps from, but that doesn’t have a remote so using that all the time would be a flashback to the early 80’s.

So, I’m wondering if there is something that doesn’t cost a packet that will allow live TV, but also allow the netfix, amazon, iplayer and other apps. kinda like a PC TV card, but with smart functionality, and punt it onto the LG via HDMI.

only things I’ve seen are hard drive freeview play boxes, but I don’t need to record, and they’re kinda pricy.

new smart TV is definitely not an option.

cheers

mogrim

Chromecast and run the netflix etc apps on your phone?

bigyinn
    Free Member

Factory reset on the Smart TV and then install any firmware updates?

submarined
    Free Member

Chromecast is exactly what you need! Except for lack of Amazon support. For that you’d have to use a Fire stick which needs a remote. I much prefer the casting from the phone aspect of Chromecast, but if You’re happy with a remote, then Amazon should do you fine 🙂

johndoh
    Free Member

Hook up a PS4

lovewookie

Chromecast doesn’t do live tv though.

Actually I think I’ve found the answer, didnt think Now tv boxes had aerial inputs but it seems they do!

alternative options welcome though..

ransos
    Free Member

We use a Roku. Seems to work fine.

matt_outandabout

Hook up to different box/device. We have ‘old’ Panasonic Gumtree bargain tele – lovely picture, but hooked up to newer Humax box (also Gumtree bargain).

lovewookie

Hook up to different box/device. We have ‘old’ Panasonic Gumtree bargain tele – lovely picture, but hooked up to newer Humax box

that’s sort of what I was thinking, like an up to date freeview box type thing. takes and aerial, and has ‘smart’ capability.

just haven’t look at this sort of thing for years!

lovewookie

We use a Roku. Seems to work fine.

the Roku, does it do live TV?

IHN

Chromecast doesn’t do live tv though.

It does via the iPlayer, ITVPlayer or 4OD app (and there’s probably a Channel 5 one) fir the obvious channels and there’s probably others for Dave, Living, etc.

simons_nicolai-uk
    Free Member
    plumber
    Free Member

currently have old tv

with chromecast/amazon box and ps 4

Cant remember the last time I watched live tv and everything else I need is covered

often use ipad/phone to chrome cast for youtube things as its easier

ransos
    Free Member

the Roku, does it do live TV?

Through iplayer, 4OD etc.

lovewookie

It does via the iPlayer, ITVPlayer or 4OD app (and there’s probably a Channel 5 one) fir the obvious channels and there’s probably others for Dave, Living, etc.

but surely that would involve opening a different app for each channel, which is a PITA.
    sometimes it’s nice to flick through what’s on and see if there’s anything new may be good.
    I think the nowTv box does live TV as well as apps.

lovewookie

but yeah, freeview play box is probaly it. noticed nowTV doesn’t support Netflix

burko73

Our Sony smart tv is hard work now. Only offers iPlayer and channel 5od. No ch 4 or itv play again facility and a load of stuff that is useless such as cookery channels etc. I can get amazon on the tv. I have a nowtv box here doing nothing, I guess I ought to connect that up and have a look.

wobbliscott
    Free Member

do you have a DVD player or BR player connected? then a new BR player for about £60 with SMART features built in? Get an LG one and your TV remote will work with it.

deadkenny
    Free Member

Amazon Fire stick is probably the most performant and reliable for a cheap price.

Smart TV stuff is flawed as they become obsolete within a few years. Mine has lost loads of apps as they concentrate on the newer models only, even though I got a model with a faster cpu that should cope (it does cope, as the Plex app demonstrates, but Amazon app is a pile of crap and struggles).

After that it just becomes a ‘TV’.

Anyway, live TV, surely just same way as you’ve got already? The Smart TV part may not be working, but the TV should still be able to receive an aerial signal and would assume it’s got basic Freeview stuff in it.

Has the TV got a sat socket in which case maybe get a dish and you’ve then got freesat?

Everything else via Internets. The iPlayer etc apps might give you live TV also, but then personally I barely watch anything live anyway.

sharkbait
    Free Member

Presuming you have two HDMI ports I’d get two things:
    Smart Now TV box – gives you live FTA TV plus lots of catchup via the internets. You also have the option of monthly subscription to various Sky channels.
    Chromecast – gets you Netflix via you phone/whatever plus anything else you can get on your phone

Both work very well indeed.

lovewookie

I really wanted to only have one remote to rule them all, but it looks like the best compromise will be a chromecast and cast from phone etc.

so I’ll need to put up with tring to get the TV channel listings via LG’s software, which normally takes about a minute to load and often fills the blanks with ‘no information’ 🙁

johnners
    Free Member

The Now TV Smart box is £19.99 at Tesco at the moment, including a 3 month entertainment pass. It won’t do Amazon IIRC and I don’t know what the live TV interface/EPG is like but I think it does everything else the OP wants. Worth a punt at that price, if you’d have subscribed to the Entertainment channels anyway the box is effectively a freebie.

Not a fan of Chromecasts myself, and if you’re a NOW TV user it takes 2 of your 4 hardware slots to use it.

ransos
    Free Member

do you have a DVD player or BR player connected? then a new BR player for about £60 with SMART features built in? Get an LG one and your TV remote will work with it.

I did that, and it was a useless brick within 2 years as it wouldn’t support the various app updates. Hence buying the Roku…

sharkbait
    Free Member

I really wanted to only have one remote to rule them all

Then just get a logitech harmony remote. It should run your TV, Now TV, plus pretty much anything else you’ve got.

Rio

Now TV smart box terrestrial TV is a PITA to use because of the limited remote. Without a number pad any channel change/epg browsing involves a lot of scrolling. If you can live with that it’s otherwise fine. No Netflix or Amazon though. We have the Now box plus a Fire TV to cover nearly everything.

Bimbler
    Free Member

Amazon Fire Stick/TV>>Chromecast

Just for the remote.

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘Old smart TV is now a bit crap, what to do?’ is closed to new replies.