Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Old skis- to landfill?
  • vinnyeh

Old but high end straight skis- seems a shame to dump them, but I can’t really think of anything else to do with them. Any suggestions?

HermanShake
    Free Member

Charidee shop innit!

vinnyeh

Hardly fair to the charity shop, is it?

crispo
    Free Member

When I was social secretary of Newcastle University Ski Club we took our old pairs of skis and did 1 of 2 things.

1. Get some cheap shot glasses and super glue. Glue shot glasses onto ski and you have a shot ski to partake in ‘team building’

2. Get a 3 funnels, a length of hose and a drill. Drill 3 holes in the ski. Attach the lengths of hose to the funnells and place these through the holes in the ski. Now you have the perfect item for drinking races. We used to get two of these and race them against each other as an alternative to a boat race. Its astonishing the speed at which it goes down…..

(I shouldnt really promote this kind of behaviour however it was great fun at Uni) 😆

gusamc
    Free Member

well, when I was in the motorbike display team we ended up towing people on old ‘snow skis’ on grass if you see what I mean, so how about, quiet dowhhill road, big powerful mate on mtb, tow rope, disengage brain etc, or poss downhill on grass

*edit, take em to the BBB and have a pulling’ competition (sort of like a tractor pulling competition)

swavis

Make a super fast sledge?

MrSparkle

Owd bmx and rig something like this up:

GrahamS

eBay.

Someone will want them for some project or other.

globalti
    Free Member

I loved my old Salomon Super Force 9s in 197cm length, they carved a turn and held a line in the traverse like a train. Eventually I was forced to swap my touring bindings over to some Rossignol Bandits by the amount of piss-taking I received from my family. They don’t take the piss now though when it gets cruddy and I’m zooming around cutting though it all.

I_Ache
    Free Member

I am planning on getting some old Skis to make a snow bike like the one above. I have a frame, forks, bars and stem already, only need to get some very cheap skis, blades or possibly a snowboard and I can build it. I’m hoping to have it ready for the winter.

If I were you I would seriously think about either making a snow bike or donating them to someone so they can make one/be silly.

sam_underhill

+1 for a sledge. Old skis make the very best sledge runners.

coffeeking
    Free Member

I’ve got two old pairs, an old full sus and some sledge making kit.

That’s my summer evenings ruined in the garage.

rkk01
    Free Member

high end straight skis

Ski on them…???

gravity-slave
    Free Member

I made a sledge from an old pair of Dynastar Course Coupe de Mondes.
    Screwed straight up through the base into a wooden rail and screwed cross braces on, then hot waxed.

It’s scary fast. No one else will get on it!

rkk01
    Free Member

Been itching to have a go on these again – since re-starting skiing in 2006 or 7…

Took them to Courmayeur this year

– Everyone said they would be shite.

They weren’t 😀 8)

Fast as a fast thing, and edge hold and stability that a modern ski would struggle to match

As I suspected, and had previously argued on here and on Snowheads, they were also very good at short turns

Did require more concentration than modern skis though

A few folks laughed, but many more commented positively

theredchili
    Free Member

Free cycle ?- can post them there and I’m sure someone will take them off your hands

footflaps

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Old skis- to landfill?’ is closed to new replies.