Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • old shimano saint m800 brakes any good for DH?
  • dogmatix

as title says really, can get a pair new for £85 and wanted to know if they are any good for DH mainly aston/cwm carn, but also odd trip to the alps, morzine etc…

I have juicy fives but the rear piston keeps ceasing and I have had it with them. Just want to know if saints are as powerful and if they are as good on longer runs, in terms of fade as juicys.

I think im pretty sure they are more reliable, as have been running other shimano brakes for 4 years without any maintenance issues and have seen posts celebrating saints reliability.

People with direct experience please, pref of both.

I know things like codes are better but just dont have that sort of budget.

Have also seen hayes el caminos in my budget if anyone has direct experience of those.

Cheers for any help…

singlespeedstu

My Saints have been trouble free for alpine use.

Unlike the Hopes they replaced.

tails
    Free Member

Yeah they'll be more than okay, but no where near as strong as M810 I would imagine.

dogmatix

OK cheers… are they as powerful as the juicy's for DH?

racing_ralph
    Free Member

way more

walleater

El Cams suck balls. I've never had any problems with any Shimano break but for the likes of CC and Aston I can't see issues anyway as long as the brake is powerful. Neither are particularly alpine.

dogmatix

sorry Rob, just so not to get confused I am talking reference to the M800 (dont have the money for the M810)you think they are more powerful than juicy 5's

colande
    Free Member

got a set of el caminos on my xc hardtail
    they have been faultless so far,
    more than enough for me, running 160 rotors front and rear,
    ride cwmcarn (xc trail though) fairly regularly and never felt out of depth there with 'em
    they have a nice feel to them, both lever and bite,

so think dh might be a bit too much for them
    maybe not with bigger rotors
    but think they are rated as xc/am brakes

walleater

The El Cams we had on the XC rental bike fleet in Whistler failed nearly every time the bikes were used!

dogmatix

ok sounds like el cams are a no go… so anyone with direct experience of power/fade between saints (m800) and juicy range? On DH particularly…

rolfharris
    Free Member

Use both currently and have never had a problem with either, however, the Juicies are newer while the XT/Saints are 4, maybe 5, years old, have done the alps, cwm carn etc. and have never, ever gone wrong.

I'd say they were about as powerful as each other, but the Shimanos feel a lot better.

colande
    Free Member

i must be the lucky one because i haven't serviced/bled in 12 months of use,
    and they were 2nd hand aswell.

but im not particularly hard on my kit,
    and only weigh 9st, so the el cams have an easy life stopping me

dogmatix

cheers super star… your a superstar… think i'll give the saints a bash…

jam-bo

Where you getting them for £85? I'll have them if you don't want them.

Ace brakes, proper fit and forget kit.

dogmatix

ive ordered a front on CRC (now sold out but selling calipers on there own) for £40 and a rear on cycle surgery for £45 inc packaging. The el caminos are still on CRC for £40 each… also found some deores on cycle surgery for £20 each if anyone is interested…

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘old shimano saint m800 brakes any good for DH?’ is closed to new replies.