• This topic has 32 replies, 27 voices, and was last updated 6 years ago by andeh.
Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)
  • Old School Skaters – I've made a movie about getting old.
  • EddieFiola
    Free Member

About a year ago i made a short documentary for the kendal Film Festival about skateboarding in the 80’s and trying to skate now as old men. Since then I’ve kept in touch with the friends of old and we have made another short film for this years film festival. It is based around an old cattle trough we dug out when we were 16 or so to to try and skate. Well this summer we had another go at digging it out and skating it. Anyway…. Please tell me what you think. Its 4 minutes and has words so you need a speaker if you want to hear them.
    Thanks for watching. (just for reference the bowl is rough as hell)

Im not sure how to embed that???

simondbarnes

Nice 🙂

v8ninety

<Like>

Autumn of your life though? Hang on a moment!

phunkmaster
    Free Member

Another goodun.

Was yours the Forever Young one? Really liked that. Loved the feeling of that..

Still consider myself a skater. A genuine way of life and one of those ‘if it needs explaining to you, you’ll never understand’ things.

Keep up the good work.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Enjoyed that.

andy8442
    Free Member

Some lovely images in there. I scared myself silly earlier this year on a long board, going down a hill of my youth. I got to a point I was going too fast to jump off so just had to hang on and hope for the best.

I enjoyed your swimming film as well. Keep at it young man.

oldmanmtb
    Free Member

Lovely….

From another old school skater currently rolling on a Z pig Tracker six tracks and abec 11 wheels

binners

That’s fantastic! Beautifully shot!

Another old skater here. 8 wheels not four, but have got back into it again recently, with a few mates of similar vintage. We’ve got a great new rink opened locally

I’ve just treated myself to a set of Bauer Nexus, set up old school, running ACS651’s and Sims Street Snakes. My youngest daughter has got right into it too and is getting a bit good.

I’m presently sporting a Kryptonics Star Trac t shirt 🙂

giantalkali
    Free Member

Wicked vid, nice one

TheBrick
    Free Member

Excellent!

If you are ever down in Dorset on a Sunday beside to drop in on the silver surfers session.

bob_summers

Nice work OP. Good to see Chaz and co again!

We had a similar ‘bowl’ in a field up the road nr Ulverston, same sort of thing as yours and is also probably still there under a couple of feet of topsoil. Might have a poke around on Google Earth later and see if there are any clues as to where it is.

Another middle aged shredder here, got a NOS Hosoi Hammerhead (purple) and Kryptonic Slammers (pink), sitting sadly unused recently as I’ve spent too much on physio the last couple of months to undo it all in a misjudged moment of exuberance.

ourmaninthenorth

Love it.

Loved the first one.

My skating days are long behind me. Was still sad the other day to discover of the many great things of my youth my mother gave away over the years without consulting me was my Deathbox board.

That longboard looks fun!!

jamj1974

Love that.

Baron_von_drais
    Free Member

Enjoyed that.

Still got my Zorlac John Gibson from the late ’80s in my Mum and Dad’s garage. I think my wife would kill me if I suggested using it.

gonetothehills
    Free Member

Brilliant! Really enjoyed that thanks.

senorj

Brilliant.I liked the last too btw.

jimfrandisco
    Free Member

Will go back and watch again when not at work – but that brought back memories.
    Today you’d scoff at skating that kind of knackered old ditch when so many towns have generic concrete skateparks, but when i skated a rough ditch like that would feel like california!
    Concrete bowls were a thing of legend back then – i think there was Harrow, Romford down London way and then the 70’s left overs in the SW and pretty much nothing in the rest of the country at all.
    At that time we’d have killed for a farmers drainage ditch!
    Nice work Sir!

darrell
    Free Member

that was excellent thanks.
    Another retired boarder here. But Ive got an old longboard hidden in the garage ready to give to my son when he’s old enough and the missus isn’t watching

jimfrandisco
    Free Member

Jeff Gross Love Letters to Skateboarding

If you don’t already know about this video series then apologies in advance to ruining your productivity for the rest of the day!

EddieFiola
    Free Member

Thanks for the replies and feedback about the skate movie.

I make all these small film films and just put them on youtube.(streemer1 if you want a look) I mainly make them for something to do.
    What should I actually do with them, how do I get lots of people to see them , does anyone have any advice to give me?

Or should I not bother

wwaswas

Great film OP – as a 50+ year old bloke there was a lot of resonance in there.

fasthaggis

OP
    Top job,fantasic wee film,really hits the mark.
    What is they say…
    “You don’t stop playing when you get old,you get old when you stop playing”

oldmanmtb
    Free Member

Maybe we should start a singletruck thread?

EddieFiola
    Free Member

‘singletruck’ that’s class!

Marin
    Free Member

Great film/short.

BobaFatt
    Free Member

Are you on Middle Aged Shred, they’d love this

DezB
    Free Member

Side note – watched the Kingsman film on the weekend and there were a load of Alva and Dogtown Skates boards in one place they went to. (Best bit of the film!)

cvilla

You mention Kendal mountain festival, have you enetered the competition OR is the film being showed, just wondered when it might be aired?
    Great film btw, not been on a board in ages, was that filmed in Cumbria or over the border?

EddieFiola
    Free Member

It was filmed just on one of the surrounding hills (lumps) around Kendal. The long boarding was filmed up Barbondale and just up from Dent going to Ribblehead viaduct.
    Im unsure which bit it will be shown at as yet.

cvilla

Cheers, I recognised the Dent/Barbondale lanes. I like the short films which hark back to KMF original shorts, seems to be going a tab more commercial, or am I just older! Keep the films coming:)

funkmasterp

That’s a great little film and makes me want to buy a deck.

jonno101
    Free Member

Brilliant just edit out longboard and it will be amazing 🙂

andeh

Nice! Glad I’m not the only one still messing about on the pushwood. Really liked that.

Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)

The topic ‘Old School Skaters – I've made a movie about getting old.’ is closed to new replies.