Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Old school fork Fox Vanilla advice. S-Works Enduro
  • beaconjon
    Free Member

Yesterday I traded my beloved 2006 Zaskar Pro for a 2004 S-Works Enduro. Found it looking tired and sorry in a LBS and had to save it. I love its odd monocoque looks and the fact that it has some beautiful welding on it.

Anyway, having moved from the GT’s rather simple Rebas up front the Enduro has a pair of Fox Vanilla 125’s. They look like the original forks that probably came with the bike and are on the list for replacement (hopefully with a Lefty).

I need some setup advice regarding the two dials on top of the forks. The right one I’m guessing is an incremented lock out but I’m not sure what the left is for. Is this the rebound? If so, any advice on how many clicks in either direction I should be looking for? I’m 83kg and ride mainly on local hard packed trails.

Also, the bike has a RaceFace triple and i believe ISIS BB. Will I be able to swap that straight out for a hollow tech setup with out any chain line issues?

Sorry for the rather nebbish questions, I am after all a roadie at the end of the day, take pity!

Cheers, Jon

jairaj

You need to check which Vanilla you have to see what adjustments you have.

The Vanilla is a coil spring fork which is in the left leg viewed if you are sitting on the bike. It has a preloaded adjuster on the top for adjusting your sag.

The damper is in the right leg. The red inner dial controls rebound, the outer blue dial is either a lockout of you gave the RL version. Or a low speed compression adjust if you have the RC version.

beaconjon
    Free Member

Thanks for the reply. Just checked, it’s the RL version.
    I’m guessing as it’s a spring fork it’s quite heavy?

Lefty aside, what would be a sensible, slightly more up to date replacement ?

doof_doof
    Free Member

My 2003 Vanilla 125 R is 1930g, not exactly porky for a coil fork. A modern equivalent would be a Sektor or Revelation, depending on budget. Fox will do a Float something-or-other, too (no longer an equivalent coil Vanilla).
    Service instructions are here:
    http://www.enduroforkseals.com/id28.html

Your chainset will be fine to swap over.

jairaj

I think the Vanilla was one of the lightest coil forks around in its day. Wasn’t too heavy if I remember correctly. My main concern with my old vanilla was lack of compression damping same complaint I have with all Fox forks before 2013. Haven’t tried their recent forks with revised damping. The cost of a RC2 damper (adding compression adjust) was almost as much as a new RS Revelation so I went with that instead.

Note if you’re thinking of changing the fork a Sektor RL won’t offer much of an upgrade. While its good for the money the damper is basic and the whole package doesn’t offer much more than what you already have. If going RS go for a air spring fork with their RTL or RCT3 dampers.

kcal

Could get it serviced – TF Tuned or similar.

I borrowed a similar bike over the summer from a mate, it was different from my usual bikes but rode really well; enjoyed it and was sad to hand it back – I did notice the rims were original (I assume) and had split the rear..

Sounds v similar – black, Mavic rims, RaceFace cranks.. I think he got it made up as custom build..

cookeaa

2004 is “old School” now is it…

DezB
    Free Member

Vanillas definitely benefit from being serviced. There was a noticable difference in the suppleness of mine after a clean and oil change.
    Followed the service instructions doof_doof linked to a fair few times (apart from that first bit about cutting a slot in the shaft, never needed to do that).

njee20
    Free Member

2004 is “old School” now is it…

I’d say so, yes…

Do the forks look tired OP – after 11 years a service bill could be astronomical, and not really worthwhile, before you dive headlong into that tack.

DezB
    Free Member

Do the forks look tired OP – after 11 years a service bill could be astronomical, and not really worthwhile, before you dive headlong into that tack.

What could be wrong with Vanillas?
    Take the legs off, check for stanchion wear, change the oil and seals, they be grand.

beaconjon
    Free Member

Yeh they are looking tired and I’m guessing original. I’ve not really had a chance to ride it properly yet so I’m not sure how they’ll behave.

I’d really like to fit a lefty to add to it’s querky looks but they seem soo expensive.

At the moment I’m spending what little cash I can justify (got a old S-Works road bike and a Scott Plasma that a few bits too) on essentials like tyres, grips, saddle, headset bearings.

It has mismatched wheels (Hope, Shimano and Mavic) that are fine but the stem and riser bars have to go as I like my bikes low at the front. Hope 3 brakes seem fine but the crankset is pretty much toast.

Still, I’m enjoying working on it and I’ll hopefully get hold of some XTR dc levers at some point.

beaconjon
    Free Member

Ps, how difficult are they to service? I’m a fairly competent bike mechanic. Any instructions anywhere?

kcal

I don’t think they’re that difficult and I’m pretty cack handed. I had a pair of Vanilla Rs and was happy enough to change the oil and travel as well, you should be fine. Fox website should have model by model and year by year Pdfs..

beaconjon
    Free Member

Perfect. I’ll give it a go.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Old school fork Fox Vanilla advice. S-Works Enduro’ is closed to new replies.