Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)
  • Old road bikes. I like them :-)
  • Hairychested
    Free Member

Minutes ago a lovely chap from DHL delivered a parcel. Inside – an old Raleigh roadie. Looks my size, is blue, with suicide brakes, what’s not to like?
    I’m grinning like a madman, such a happy chappy I’ve become instantly it’s a bit worrying.
    Who else here gets ecstatic when they get hold of an oldie?
    BTW Thanks to Lee, a man of his word.

Jamie
    Free Member

*Insert Wayne Rooney joke here*

Hairychested
    Free Member

* It’s great to see Wayne Rooney back on form. At long last he’s broken his prostitute drought.

* Wayne Rooney’s international team-mates have rallied round his betrayed wife Coleen. John Terry is already said to have offered to pop round anytime.

* There was good and bad news for Wayne Rooney on the front of Tuesday’s Daily Mirror. On the downside, a second girl is about to do a kiss-and-tell on him. On the upside, he’s really looking forward to that free Gregg’s Steak Bake.

* Fabio Capello is worried Wayne Rooney’s got the wrong end of the stick about England’s latest qualifier. He told the striker to stay at home but Rooney said he wasn’t going to miss out on the chance of a Swiss roll.

* Jenny Thompson wasn’t keen on sex with Wayne Rooney. She said it was ogre rated.

* Coleen says their marriage is ruined. In fact, it’s completely Shrecked.

* Rooney has released a statement to the media reading: “Who says I couldn’t score in a brothel now, eh?”

* How can you tell the Rooneys apart? One’s dirty, the other’s Coleen.

* Wayne Rooney’s been told to take a long look at himself in the mirror. Like that’s going to cheer him up.

* This isn’t quite what Sir Alex had in mind when he told Wayne to start banging them in again.

* Some of Wayne Rooney’s sponsors are sticking by him. Spokesmen from Durex, Yellow Pages and Travelodge insisted he’d done absolutely nothing wrong.

* Coleen will have Rooney followed everywhere from now on. It’s the WAG tailing the dog.

* No-one is saying Wayne Rooney’s obsessed with sex, but he’s been asking team-mates if Swiss cheese is the one with the holes in it.

* Poor Wayne Rooney. He hired a stripper from the Yellow Pages and someone came round and took off all his wallpaper.

* Shrek 4’s plotline is going to be interesting now, isn’t it?

* Wayne Rooney’s been arrested for shoplifting a packet of Cherry Bakewells. He explained to police that he’d promised Coleen never to pay for another tart again.

oldgit
    Free Member

Me.
    In particular British builders. Anyway what have you bought…pictures?

Harry_the_Spider

Go on then… show us.

meehaja
    Free Member

I have an old reynolds peugeot with 7speed dura ace. It doesn’t work at the moment, but I do love it. Nothing seems to ride as nicely as that bike did.

fasthaggis

Nope, my OCD kicks in when I see cables like this on old road bikes …clean lines please 🙂

gavtheoldskater
    Free Member

i got an 80’s barry chick with full dura ace for 40quid out the local paper a few years back, that made me pretty happy.

Betamax
    Free Member

What sort of bike is that Fasthaggis? I’ve got one just like it. Always wondered what it was.

Edit: No I haven’t – same colour different dropouts/fork crown.

molgrips
    Free Member

Not me. Modern tech all the way 🙂

(thinks about lovely compact geometry carbon fibre shapliness in the bike shed..mmm…)

psychle
    Free Member

Not exactly ‘old’ I guess (mid-90’s I think), but still classic styling… the internal routing on the top tube would help Fasthaggis’s OCD as well 😆 . Great bike, about to head out for a ride on it just now in fact, look out for us in Richmond Park if you’re in the area 😀

DSCF4080 by ten_sim, on Flickr

1freezingpenguin
    Free Member

Thats nice Psychle 🙂 I always wanted on of these years ago.

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

I’ve been on the lookout for a Mal Rees ‘Rameles’ frame for a couple of years now. It was the top of the line frame produced for what was the local bike shop when I was a kid. Finding one is a bit of a long shot though.

Hairychested
    Free Member

It’s still in the box, should be built later on today or tomorrow, I might even wash the girl.
    Her name: Raleigh Arena GT (or so it seems judging by the lettering).

oldgit
    Free Member

muppetWrangler, I was looking for a Mal Rees, you know Rameles is an anagram.
    Contacted an old lady I know had a A S Gilot in her shed, but her son inlaw had sawn it up and disposed of it 😥

epicyclo

Got a Flying Scot in the attic.

oldgit
    Free Member

Got a Flying Scot in the attic.

Nice. I couldn’t let one of those sit there doing nothing, even if it was just for Saturday morning cuppa coffee and newspaper rides to the local café

epicyclo

oldgit – Member
    Nice. I couldn’t let one of those sit there doing nothing…

Don’t worry, I’ve got plans for it.

At the moment it’s got derailleurs and I don’t like those things.

I am thinking of sticking a S-A 3spd in it though which is still appropriate to the era.

What I’d really like to do is to retube it with 953 so I could have shiny tubes to offset the Nervex Pro lugs.

fourbanger
    Free Member

I picked up a Dave Russell frame that was cosmetically pretty patchy and had it powder coated a pretty pimp gold. Just waiting to get it built up!

http://www.classiclightweights.co.uk/builders/dave-russell-builders.html

souldrummer
    Free Member

I’ve got a 531 Condor that must be at least 25 years old which I keep at a mates house in Brussles for a quick blast when I’m over there. Other than the lack of standover and only 12 gears it is still a lot of fun. The top tube is getting a bit rusty, due to a lot of sweat dripping onto it over the years and it needs a new chain ring but, other than that it’s still doing OK. Still secretly hanker after a new custom built bike. Might treat myself when I retire.

flip
    Free Member

My two…

Fondriest SLX Campagnolo Chorus.

Brian Rourke 531c Campagnolo Super Record.

oldgit
    Free Member

I am thinking of sticking a S-A 3spd in it though which is still appropriate to the era

My Lenton would of had the option of either SA 3 speed, flip flop or 4 speed Benelux. I’m struggling to get 115mm OLN 27 x 11/4 wheels for it it.

ken_shields
    Free Member

I’m just in the process of putting gears back on this as my knee won’t do SS anymore. Just waitng for my rear mech to show up and I’ve got a 1″ Ahead road stem coming for it too and it’ll be finished (well till I decide what colour I want to get it painted)

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

muppetWrangler, I was looking for a Mal Rees, you know Rameles is an anagram.

Seems obvious now but in all honesty I hadn’t spotted it. Doh!

The reason I wanted the Mal Rees bike was that the original shop was a wondrous place when I was a kid, I used to walk up there whenever I needed to get a spare tube or some such thing for my bike. The shop was fascinating to a child, frames and wheels hanging from every surface, it was my first introduction to bike shops.

It went through a couple of owners and gradually declined throughout the eighties until it eventually closed but it would be nice to get an old frame back in local use again.

GlitterGary
    Free Member

Hideous contraptions – mods, please move to ‘off topic’, thank you.

epicyclo

oldgit – Member
    … I’m struggling to get 115mm OLN 27 x 11/4 wheels for it it.

You can still get new narrow hubs. Check out a BMX store.

Velocity make 27″ rims.

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

epicyclo, you serious? you really got a Flying Scot? Really? any idea of a build date?

_tom_
    Free Member

I like em, they look way cooler than modern road bikes.

b-a-c-o-n
    Free Member

Pinerello Montello SLX 1986. Ride it to work 40 miles every day here in Socal.

b1galus
    Free Member

my brother in law has three flying scots and a viking hanging up in his garage all under different states of building , he keeps promising to give me one. they all date back to the sixties

takisawa2

My Cougar.
    Has full guards & a rack nowadays.

IMG_5319 by pten2106, on Flickr

ken_shields
    Free Member

Needs a better seatpost but other than that done 😀

Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)

The topic ‘Old road bikes. I like them :-)’ is closed to new replies.