Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Old road bike/fixie seatpost size etc help (post/bars discontinued)
  • hora
    Free Member

Hello! Project commuter underway. What size seatpost and bars do I need and where from?!!
    [img]https://farm2.staticflickr.com/1620/25671190583_73ab91c43e_h.jpg[/img]

samunkim
    Free Member

Feel your pain.

In the end, wheeled it into local LBS and just bought the size, which fitted best.

marc
    Free Member

Crocks, ffs!

hora
    Free Member

£3 from B&M – I use them for the sauna

crispedwheel
    Free Member

If you don’t have a set of vernier calipers, take it to the LBS, who should have an incremental gauge of post diameters, that’ll mean you buy the right size.

Oh, and this

Crocks, ffs!

Bregante

Interesting decking arrangement.

hora
    Free Member

Ah bregante you detected a Fixie/steel build 😀

Bregante

I only own* steel bikes these days 😀

* shame I can’t bloody ride them too.

windydave13
    Free Member

Are you still stretford way? If so i might have a 1″ post in the garage you can try. I bought it for a bike i got out a skip but never fitted it. You’re more than welcome to give it a whirl if i can find it

Dave

hora
    Free Member

Saint Retford, yes. Will PM you

ghostlymachine
    Free Member

I doubt it’s old enough to need a 25.4/1″ post.

It looks like a mid/late 90s (maybe even early 00s) CIOCC to me. So probably 26.8 or 27.2.

dovebiker

Nice frame – Ciocc possibly made by Giovanni Pelizzoli so almost certainly Columbus tubing and probably 26.8mm or 27.2mm but a decent shop should have a tapered gauge that you simply drop into the tube and read off the diameter. OD of seattube would be 28.6mm. In terms of handlebars, common sizes were 25.8/26.0 and Cinelli’s 26.4 and will be dictated by the stem size. Suggest you get rid of the gash seatpost bolt and replace it with the right style Campagnolo one as well as a nice, sloping crown fork. Contemporary stem and bars would be Cinelli/ 3T / ITM

ghostlymachine
    Free Member

Possibly a san cristobal?
    So earlier than i thought. Easy way to tell would be rear drop out spacing.

TheBrick
    Free Member

As for all problems like this Sheldon is your man. (To compare with your measurements of course).

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/seatpost-sizes.html

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Supermarket prosecco?

You’re dead to me.

hora
    Free Member

CIOCC st cristobal?

It take a rear regular/modern road wheel without any open/priding apart of the dropouts if that helps

Dickyboy

I’ve got a 26.8mm ritchey seatpost sitting in the spares bin you can have if you think it is anywhere close – it is pretty short though, pm me your address if you want it.

ghostlymachine
    Free Member

Bloody hell. Don’t encourage him!
    A 26.8 will “fit” in any of the the three likely sizes. Except in two of them it’ll be loose and eventually the frame will fail.

Get to a shop with a decent workshop and they’ll have the tools to measure accurately. Both bars and seatpost.

And FWIW, if it’s new enough to be using a 130 rear wheel, everything on it will still be available. Nothing from that era has been “discontinued”. It’s just that you don’t know what to look for.
    You can even get 1″ steerer forks from some places…….

rOcKeTdOg

Wouldn’t the table be more useful the right way up?

amedias
    Free Member

if it’s new enough to be using a 130

unless it’s been cold set to 130mm from 126…

but even so, parts are available easy enough for almost anything from the last 70odd years without much bother.

another +1 million for just go and get it measured properly, even if you get some verniers and measure properly there’s still a chance the top’s been crimped (or reamed) a bit in the past, a proper tapered seatpost gauge bunged down there is what you need.

thepodge
    Free Member

That Morton’s old frame?

It looks terrible. Fixies should be nice not a bag of spare parts bits

hora
    Free Member

That’s the one Podge. It’ll look good finished. It’s a nice SS commuter not a contestant in a SS festival..

Any places on BPW? Apparently you can buy a pass on the day

ghostlymachine
    Free Member

unless it’s been cold set to 130mm from 126…

just takes it from a 30 second Google to find the parts to a 90 second Google and possibly a phone call………

thepodge
    Free Member

hora – Any places on BPW? Apparently you can buy a pass on the day

You can buy a day pass but that’s just access to the park and does not include the uplift.

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘Old road bike/fixie seatpost size etc help (post/bars discontinued)’ is closed to new replies.