Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Old Raleigh Steerer question.
  • jonnyrobertson

I’ve got an old Raleigh Marauder mountain bike doing not a lot so decided on a whim to turn it into a kind of crappy Bomber type bike. Bought an old Bomber/Grifter stem off Ebay but it doesn’t fit. Measured the steerers on both, the Grifter steerer is the standard 22.2mm but the steerer on the Marauder is 21.something (already forgotten the exact measurement). What’s going on here then? I just assumed (wrongly, clearly) that all old Raleigh steerers were created equal.

bencooper
    Free Member

Raleigh liked to make up their own sizes. Your only real hope is to find an old Raleigh stem.

jonnyrobertson

As far as I’m aware, Ben this is an old Raleigh stem, albeit refurbished. I also have a Grifter and this stem is identical, both in size and appearance. I just find it odd that the mountain bike steerers would be 1mm or thereabouts narrower. Suppose it’s put paid to my idea of turning the Marauder into something it was never supposed to be.

mamadirt
    Free Member

It’ll be 21.1 – Bankrupt Bike Parts stock a few different stems (headsets too). I think the old Activators used the same size.

jonnyrobertson

I’ll take a look at them, Mamadirt, cheers. Not holding much hope though. Can’t imagine there being much to choose from in a 21.1 size amd I was specifically after a short, Grifter-y, Bomber-y, BMX-y style stem. I can’t imagine they’ll come in anything other than 22.2.

jonnyrobertson

Mamadirt, thank you! Found a stem on there that is perfect for what I’m after. Dunno why I didn’t think to look there as I’d found some cowhorn handlebars on there that I was gonna go for.

As always, STW comes up with the goods, cheers.

mamadirt
    Free Member

Good stuff! Be sure to post pics when it’s done 8)

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Old Raleigh Steerer question.’ is closed to new replies.