Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • (old) pikes not using full travel (409 coil u turn ) help pretty please
  • jedimaster
    Free Member

Hi everyone, I was wondering if someone could help me with my pike problem please. 2 weeks ago after a 35 mile peak loop I realized that my forks only work for the first 100mm when there are 140mm available. No matter in what travel mode I set them up the last 40mm is unavailable. At this time the moco damper was already leaking at the top so I assumed that the oil from the moco damper is leaking down to the lower leg and hydrolocking the forks. Took the lowers off and placed the correct amount of oil in both legs which unfortunately did not solve the problem. Next day I went on a 45mile peak loop only to find that there is less and less travel available as the ride progressed. At the end I only had 70mm of travel available.
    Yesterday I serviced both the lowers and the damper side replacing all the o rings and placing 120ml of oil into the damper side. This only restored my forks to 100mm mode, they’re silky smooth for the first 100mm and then they stop.
    I think that there may be something wrong with the moco damper itself as it only turns 45 degrees and is unable to lockout the forks. Or is it something to do with the spring?
    The forks don’t look bent btw although I was sending some big jumps on them last month, no crashes though.

Any help will be really appreciated

woody2000

Are the little detent bearings worn (or lost) and allowing the uturn mechanism to move during use?

jedimaster
    Free Member

Woody, the u turn seems to be sound, no problems with it

teethgrinder

Sounds like a hydrolock and a MoCo issue to me.

Take the U-turn spring out, take the MoCo unit out and compress. Do you get full travel?

Close and open the MoCo unit and look at the silver half-moon thing at the bottom. Does it cover the entire oil gap when closed and reveal it when open? If not, close it the MoCO and rotate the half-moon so that it fully covers the gap.

Did a lot of oil come out of the lowers when you dropped them? I had a leaking damper seal and would gradually lose travel on my air U-turn Revs.

jedimaster
    Free Member

Thanks teethgrinder, I’ll have a look at it this afternoon

jedimaster
    Free Member

Looks like the moco has had it. I took the spring off and the 100mm block was still there . Took the moco out and managed to compress the forks fully. The lockout still doesnt work even after a full damper service. The compression knob has some sort of block inside it as it doesnt turn fully.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘(old) pikes not using full travel (409 coil u turn ) help pretty please’ is closed to new replies.