Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Old Pike Coils, any good?
  • AntLockyer
    Free Member

Bit of a follow on from the converting Air to coil thread. I’ve got some ancient Pike SLs on my BFE, they weigh a ton but apart from that feel good to me and I’ve really no complaints.

I can’t help but cast an eye over all this new technology, and gasp at some of the weights available.

Am I missing out by sticking with my old Pikes? Should I jsut stop worrying about it and ride more?

pictonroad

I thought they were the best forks I’d ridden until I tried the new Pikes.

I’d certainly be happy with them if that’s all I had.

joshvegas
    Free Member

I have a set with the steel steerer

The suspension is part spring and part the planets surface flexing under the weight.

chakaping
    Free Member

If you have the money to spend and you use the bike regularly then getting something more modern might give your bfe a new lease of life.

survivor

Had the PUSH upgrade on my old pikes and they felt nicer for it. Think it modifies the rebound circuit. Worth the upgrade if it’s still available and you don’t want to spend new fork money.

AntLockyer
    Free Member

Interesting. So given the new Pikes are better what about something like the x fusion ones?

Not really looking to spend money, just like to get some idea where my stuff sits in the modern world and dream of having enough money to upgrade.

Will go and look at Push too.

ehrob

New pikes are definitely nicer. A lot lighter too.

But they’re not life changing.

XFusion stuff is great. I’ve some Slants on my hardtail that I run at 140mm and they’ve been excellent. One warranty return very early on – have run for 3.5 years without touching since! Pikes are more adjustable, but for the money the Slants are awesome.

RS Yari might be worth a look too.

AntLockyer
    Free Member

Food for thought. To be honest in the things that need changing the brakes are probably number 1 being Hayes 9 that are so loud I can’t use them near horses 🙂

Also a dropper would be awesome but failing that a qr clamp that stopped the seat post slipping.

Oh and something to stop the headset coming loose (using the hope thing that came with the frame but might buy a star washer instead).

All that being said I’ve imposed a ride credit system where any bike purchase requires 10 rides to happen first. To deal with my GAS.

Also could do with some shorts and knee pads.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Old Pike Coils, any good?’ is closed to new replies.