Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 52 total)
  • Old Men on Motorway Bridges…
  • Shibboleth
    Free Member

What the hell are they doing? There’s a bridge over the M6 near me and every time I drive over it, there are 1 or 2 older/middle aged blokes with binoculars, sometimes cameras on tripods.

Anybody know what they’re up to?

LoCo
    Free Member

Truckspotters, traffic surveys?

First time doggers that haven’t quite got it yet?

wwaswas

[paranoid voice]

They’re part of the surveillance that the Government have running on you. No one else sees them but they are all around *you* 24 hours a day.

[/paranoid voice]

BlindMelon
    Free Member

Old men watch traffic, its the rules!

dannybgoode

Lorry spotting probably. Had one on Traffic Cops or whatever as someone had reported him and he was snapping shots of HGV’s (reminds me of a joke but I’ll leave that for another time).

Cheers

Danny B

piemonster
    Shibboleth
    Free Member

Seriously??? Truck spotters????

Why? What do they spot them for??

This thread poses more questions than it answers…

notmyrealname
    Free Member

Stobart’s have their own fan club. The spotters get fleet lists from the club and try to tick off all the different ones they spot!

http://www.stobartclubandshop.co.uk/

They’re a pain in the arse if you’re a truck fitter trying to get on with your job and you’ve got a yard full of Stobart motors, they seem to think they have a god given right to wonder around the yard and in and out of the workshops to gawp at the trucks!
    Thankfully I don’t have that problem with them any more!

ridethelakes
    Free Member

Surveyors with theodolites probably.

hora
    Free Member

Way leftfield/OT but this topic sparked the thought of this brilliant old bloke.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Don_Ritchie

PiknMix
    Free Member

Like railway enthusiasts who aim to capture class and numbers I suspect the aim of lorry spitting would be similar, only make and model.

Some trucks are quite cool.

LoCo
    Free Member

lorry spitting

😆

KonaTC

Hopefully an army of Middle Lane Hogging Monitors

Shibboleth
    Free Member

Some trucks are quite cool.

… but there’s absolutely NOTHING cool about sitting on a motorway bridge with a flask taking pictures of them as they trundle beneath you at 56mph!

Seriously, I thought that was just something for kids to do on long journeys, can’t quite believe that grow adults do this!

LoCo
    Free Member

They probably laugh their moobs off at ‘the weirdos in lyrca riding circles’ 😉

They probably have a mental image of Bikefox when they think of mtbers

D0NK

The spotters get fleet lists from the club and try to tick off all the different ones they spot!

us blokes really are sad aren’t we?

I fully accept I’m a bike anorak and yes it is silly pointing and laughing at other peoples strange pass times, people watching football for instance, we’re all pretty weird.

wwaswas

My wife is convinced that most men are on the Autistic spectrum.

When I read stuff like this I struggle to disagree.

BoardinBob

… but there’s absolutely NOTHING cool about sitting on a motorway bridge with a flask taking pictures of them as they trundle beneath you at 56mph!

When I was still at school I can remember my best mate being mortified one morning because his bus spotter uncle was standing at the bottom of the road to the school taking pictures and notes of the school buses.

In hindsight the “bus spotter” routine was probably a cover for kiddy fiddling…

D0NK

i thought everyone was, not just blokes, OCD too, aren’t there a lot of “conditions” that we all have it’s just that most of us are a long way down the scale?

sugdenr
    Free Member

A friend of ours was driving over local motorway bridge not long ago when a suited pedestrian put his bag down and casually hopped over the guard rail like he was looking for something up – ‘cept he had hopped off the bridge to plunge his death.

Anyway shibs, its not the old blokes with binoc-u-lars that you want to be worried about, its the yoofs with paving slabs – years back they lobbed one off the next bridge down from suicide bridge and killed a truck driver for Ford.

grum
    Free Member

Each to their own.

When I read stuff like this I struggle to disagree.

http://www.m.webmd.com/a-to-z-guides/features/asperger-syndrome-autism?page=2

Shibboleth
    Free Member

At least we get the reward of adrenalin, endorphines and higher fitness levels as a side effect of our strange obsession.

What the hell do these fat old blokes get from spotting a truck?? It’s not like they’ve just discovered something rare and unique, it’s a flippin truck!

Northwind

Gotta catch ’em all

konabunny
    Free Member

i thought everyone was, not just blokes, OCD too, aren’t there a lot of “conditions” that we all have it’s just that most of us are a long way down the scale?

No.

zippykona

There used to be bus spotters outside East Croydon train station.
    Maybe trains had got boring and they were after a new adrenaline rush.

TuckerUK
    Free Member

Ford asked them to kill a trick driver? 😯

That’s scandalous, why hasn’t more been made of this industrial espionage/assassination?

TuckerUK
    Free Member

What the hell do these fat old blokes get from spotting a truck?? It’s not like they’ve just discovered something rare and unique, it’s a flippin truck!

It’s an interest that stimulates their grey matter, they are out in the fresh air (debatable), it passes the time…

ninfan
    Free Member

Thats not bird poo on your car roof!

Shibboleth
    Free Member

it passes the time…

If my time ever becomes so unbearably dull that spotting trucks enriches it, I will throw myself off a motorway bridge!

stu1972
    Free Member

lorry spitting

The timing would have to be impeccable from a motorway bridge.

Sounds like fun. I’m in.

ThePinkster

Like railway enthusiasts who aim to capture class and numbers I suspect the aim of lorry spitting would be similar, only make and model.

I work in an office full of ex British Rail employees, next to Crewe Station.

You should see them twitch when a steam whistle goes off, quite amusing sometimes.

kayak23

jivehoneyjive
    Free Member

Depending on the old man, they may be sea-gulling and filming their filthy exploits

portlyone

You get coach spotters looking around Wembley at all the riches on show… automotive coaches not football coaches I hasten to add.

hora
    Free Member

Those aren’t actually old men. They are the ghosts of long dead highwaymen lamenting the passing of their time.

cheekyboy
    Free Member

I work in an office full of ex British Rail employees, next to Crewe Station.

You should see them twitch when a steam whistle goes off, quite amusing sometimes.

More like they think the kettles boiled and youre making them a brew !

BoardinBob

There are entire festivals for truck enthusiasts

http://www.truckfestsouthwest.co.uk/

sniffy
    Free Member

Check out ebay – truck pictures from bridges go for £1.50 a go, can make good pension support if you have the time and can be bothered

project
    Free Member

When i was younger used to ride down to the local long distance truck park and take pictures of various trucks still got the slides of them.

There are also a surprising number of sentances that came from some drivers as to where they would insert the camera as they thought i was from the vehicle inspectorate.

Met some intresting people and some a bit dodgy but you do in all areas of life.

Goes off to drole over Volvo f86 and f88 tractor units, and a lot of scammell constructors and crusaders along with the leyland t45.

molgrips
    Free Member

It’s an interest that stimulates their grey matter

Not much, surely?

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 52 total)

The topic ‘Old Men on Motorway Bridges…’ is closed to new replies.