Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Old laptop … wireless card???
  • Aus
    Free Member

Have an old (10 years) Dell Inspiron 7500 laptop. Would be v handy to be able to connect to internet wireless-ly (Netgear router) but obviously, being old, it has no integrated wireless thingy.

Will a wirless card in the USB port do the trick, and anything specific to look out for? (I’m technologically challenged)

Ta

unsponsored
    Free Member

Does it have a PCMCIA slot? If so you can push a card in. I have an unopened Dlink one if your are interested. £7 posted.

A USB wireless dongle would also do the trick.

RudeBoy
    Free Member

I use a D-Link USB thing, no problems. Actually better than a lot of laptop internal wireless systems, as you can position the dongle, on it’s extension cord, in a better position to receive a signal.

dc2.0

Aus – if it has got a “PCMCIA” slot – aka CardBus – then I’ve got three of suitable wireless cards knocking about, price depending on whether you want wireless b (only), wireless b/g or super-g. £3, £4, £5 respectively. What OS have you got? Any wireless card will be easiest to set up under Windows XP (service pack 2), in which case it should be “plug and play”. Happy to advise if you don’t know what you’ve got. Paypal fine.

Cheers
    Dan.

mike_check
    Free Member

I have a Belkin cardbus type card lying around if it’s any use to anyone, now redundant as the laptop I used it in died and has been replaced.

Anyone wants it free of charge give me a shout; lazymikedj AT hotmail.co.uk and I’l find it and post it off in a jiffy bag!

RudeBoy
    Free Member

mikecheck; you have email.

Aus
    Free Member

thanks all – will check the laptop for a card fit and get back to you …

Aus
    Free Member

dc2.0 – can you email me pls as looks like I can take a card thingy – many thanks

southbankaus AT aol DOT com

brant
    Free Member

£7 – then £5,4,3… then free of charge.

OK anyone going to pay Aus to use their old wireless card??

aracer
    Free Member

OK then – Aus I’ll pay you £5 to use my wireless card. I presume you won’t mind the secure firewall inside it which records all your details when you log on somewhere secure?

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Old laptop … wireless card???’ is closed to new replies.