• This topic has 12 replies, 11 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by murf.
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Old Konas – sizing help
  • igm

Give I ride a large Singular, On-one or Planet X or an 18″ Orange, what size of 90s Kona would be roughly equivalent?

19″?
    Medium?
    Large?

And yes I appreciate this might be a bit of a “piece of string” question.

Many thanks

robinlaidlaw
    Free Member

Any of the above. Bear in mind that it will have been designed with a much longer stem in mind than in normal now, i.e 100-130mm so what will suit now will depend on whether you are planning to stick with that or go shorter.
    I ride large frames typically now (6ft tall) and used to ride an 18″ Kona way back.

igm

6′ on a good day here, 5’11” on a bad one, so 18″ sounds right.

Thanks

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    botanybay
    Free Member

18 inch will do you well friend.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

5ft 10, had 18inch Kona with 110mm stem. In fact got rid of a 19inch as felt too large.

So I reckon a 19 might be right.

aw
    Free Member

I had 17 inch kona Cindercone and came up slightly too small with flat bars and no suspension fork. I am 5 10 tall.

oldboy
    Free Member

Until quite recently, I had a 17″ 1998 Kona Hei Hei. I’m 5’8″, with disproportionately long legs, and it fitted me perfectly, but I do prefer small frames so I can adjust the fit through the seatpost height and stem length.

Bez

IIRC, pre-94 an 18″ will have a 22.5″ ETT, 94 on will be 23″. Adjust up or down by 0.5″ ETT for each 1″ of seat tube. ISTR sometime at the end of the decade it went a little squiffy.

beaker

I’m a shade under six foot with a 32″ inside leg measurement. I rode a 19″ frame (a Kilauea) and it was perfect for me. It was also one of the finest handling bikes I’ve owned.

hot_fiat

18″ should do you fine. I was trying to scan this, but then I discovered someone’s already done it:
    1997 Kona Catalogue

jamj1974

6′ tall near 34″ inside leg – still ride my 1995 19″Kona Cindercone. I think it fits me like a glove but
    I do have monkey arms…! As said though they were designed around a longer stem. If you intend to go short stem and wide bars I would go up a size to make that work for you. Unless you have short legs the standover should be excellent anyway due to the sloping top tube.

Whatever you go for – enjoy it, they are without doubt some of the best XC bikes ever!

igm

Got one. ’93 Hahanna so entry level, but nigh on spotless (for a 20 year old bike) – £50.

Rides beautifully.

murf
    Free Member

Great buy! I’ve had my cinder cone since new, 1996! Has aged far better than me and I ride it just as often as my modern Stumpjumper FSR. Got a set of Fox Rl 80’s with a front disc brake and shorter stem and it rides great 🙂

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Old Konas – sizing help’ is closed to new replies.