• This topic has 8 replies, 5 voices, and was last updated 10 years ago by sm.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Old knees
  • sm
    Free Member

Sorry, I know variations of this has been asked before.

As I’m now 50 and my new bike (birthday pressie) has brought back the fun and a bit more speed I figured now’s the time to protect the old knees. I only ride xc and mainly at Swinley but heading to bike park Wales soon.

I think I will get one of these options anyone have any thoughts please?

POC Joint VPD 2.0 Knee Guard 2013

RaceFace Ambush Knee D3O Guard

Fox Racing Launch Pro Knee Guards

Thanks

sm
    Free Member

Anyone.?

seavers
    Free Member

I can’t comment on the ones you have listed but will throw some more in the mix. I have Nukeproof knee pads. Like them a lot, comfortable on all but the hottest of days. Hard plastic cup to protect your knee but it just feels nice and not in the way. Have come off a couple of times and no doubt they work well. Didn’t slip, still in pretty good condition. Also sizing is spot on.

ruscle
    Free Member

The Poc’s are fantastic, they loosen up with the heat from you so are really flexy and comfortable. Highly recommended.

daftvader
    Free Member

Gform? I’ve torn the cartilage in both knees and cant afford to have any more time off work and as I mostly ride xc with a few jumps thrown in they fitted the bill… dont slip too much, light enough to ride in all day and not too sweaty. Best to try on for fit tho as sizing is key. Mountaintrax wokingham stocks them… hth

sm
    Free Member

Thanks

Spin
    Free Member

Have you riden in pads at all before?

I ask as I simply cannot get on with even the lightest pads for XC. I put them on before big descents and either push them down or take them off completely at the bottom. Gform are the best I’ve used but even they feel restrictive and quickly lead to discomfort on the ups.

On that basis, worth trying before you buy.

sm
    Free Member

I haven’t but I’ve seen a couple of crashes lately with the knees being skinned on swinleys new ‘stone paths’ and its made me slow down a bit.

sm
    Free Member

So I finally got around to buying RaceFace Ambush Knee D3O. Rode with them for the first time today and they were fine. Well happy.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Old knees’ is closed to new replies.