Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Old Iphone 4 as bike GPS
  • superleggero
    Free Member

Got and old IPhone 4 which is no longer any use as it does take with later IOS updates. Anyone repurposed one as a decent on bike GPS. Seems a bit of a waste to have it languishing in a drawer. Seems to

Don’t need to use the phone email functions etc just GPS.

Plenty of cheap compatible mounts out there too and I won’t be too hacked off if it get smashed.

epicsteve
    Free Member

My experience with phones as GPS’s is that they don’t really have the necessary battery life with the GPS running.

orangespyderman

My experience with phones as GPS’s is that they don’t really have the necessary battery life with the GPS running.

Yup. This means they’re just pretty rubbish if you ever ride for much more than a couple of hours.

jam-bo

I can get about 10hrs tracking GPS with an iPhone. Screen off, airplane mode on etc.

with the screen on that’ll probably be less than half that.

officerfriendly
    Free Member

Just buy one of those massive 20,000mah powerbanks and you’re good to go! Has anyone got any recommendations of an app to use?

epicsteve
    Free Member

Cyclestreets is a decent navigation app – Strava for everything else. Also currently playing around with the “Ride with GPS”.

My phone, with the screen on for Navigation, lasts about 2 to 2.5 hours before the battery runs out.

wilko1999
    Free Member

Viewranger is very good for following a route on iPhone. However as others have said, if you have the screen on to actually follow the route you’ll be very lucky to get 3 hours out of it.

superleggero
    Free Member

I have an external battery pack also going spare and would combine this with the IPhone 4 for longer running times.

AlexSimon

My iPhone 4 was good for a 5 hour Strava ride (wi-fi needs to be off).
    My iPhone 5S is good for a 8 hour Strava ride.

If you need to have the screen on for Bikehub or following a route, etc, then it drops pretty quickly. I bought an Anker power bank for that which recharges about 3 times.Makes mounting more complicated though (unless you just charge at cafe stops/etc)

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Old Iphone 4 as bike GPS’ is closed to new replies.