Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Old House…insulation
  • benjii19
    Free Member

We have just bought an old end terraced stone cottage with extremely thick stone walls. We are converting the sizeable landing into a bathroom, however have been told this area can get cold (its the inlaws old house, we havent moved in yet) two of the walls are exterior walls, plastered on the inside.

Having googled this, there is some view to taking the outside render off due to letting the walls breathe, being short on cash. i dont fancy that at all. What options do i have to keep it warmish.

bikeneil
    Free Member

Chat forum?

limburger
    Free Member

I would use Stan’s Notubes. Line the walls with suitable tape, drill a few holes and inject. A more expensive option is to cover it all with Gore-Tex windproof, but I would go Stan’s all the way.

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

Take the plaster off back to stone, then dry line it.

takisawa2

Check with your local council regarding solid wall insulation.
    Funding seems to come & go but worth looking at.
    If it’s in a conservation area they might only be able to do internally, but makes a big difference.
    Reckon we’ve saved about 30% on the gas bill.

manton69

We were in a similar situation and ended up stripping the plaster back, baton and cellotex, then dry line and plaster. We no longer have any condensation on what used to be a wall crawling in mildew.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

We were in a similar situation and ended up stripping the plaster back, baton and cellotex, then dry line and plaster.

My folks did the same, the bathrooms certainly don’t get cold anymore

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Old House…insulation’ is closed to new replies.