Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Old Hope XC hub breakage… Anyone seen this before?
  • ormondroyd
    Free Member

Think it’s about 2003, maybe 4000 Chilternsy miles on it.

http://i46.tinypic.com/15qqck4.jpg%5B/IMg%5D

Fatigue?

orangeboy
    Free Member

Yep seen a few over the years do that and not just hope ones

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Only one I’ve seen on a Hope hub is where it had been laced radially.

trail_rat
    Free Member

My hope ti did the same after 15 years abuse on front of a road bike.

GaVgAs
    Free Member

warranty job that..no probs 😉

bigG
    Free Member

I’ve had two hubs break that way. Both so old the anodising had faded.. And both replaced free by Hope with no quibbles.

leeph
    Free Member

Yep, broke one like that before – was under a year old, but hope warranty covered it.

large418
    Free Member

THis warranty thing – do you think it would cover a Hope Ultralight hub from the mid 90’s?

I have one that has failed just like the OP’s hub but it feels too old to be a warranty item!

StirlingCrispin

I’ve done that. 60 miles from home – so abandoned the bike in Aberfeldy tourist office and rescued it the following weekend.

jambon
    Free Member

Mice?

Aidan
    Free Member

I had the exact same thing happen on a 3-cross laced Hope XC. They replaced under warranty. You might possibly have to pay for them to rebuild it onto your rim if you want them to do that, but I sent it in as hub-only.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Mrs PPs front Pro 2 did the same thing. Was replaced on warranty though, and the wheel rebuilt as it’s a pair of Hope Hoops

scratch
    Free Member

My front did that on the road bike, was replaced by Hope FOC lickatysplit!

Blazin-saddles
    Free Member

Their ‘Warranty’ won’t cover it per say, but their goodwill will most likely result in an exchange for free or very little.

takisawa2

That’s if they have spares. Some bits of the XC’s are obsolete now. The ratchet rings are because I’ve been trying to get one.

Blazin-saddles
    Free Member

TBH the XC was discontinued several years ago, not sure of many manufacturers that keep spares for a 15 year old product.

Onzadog
    Free Member

Mate tried sorting a rear XC shell recently but was told it was too old for them to be able to help.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Shimanos don’t break like that 😛

Blazin-saddles
    Free Member

They don’t get chance to, the pitting on the bearing races kills them way before 😉

zippykona

Mine broke like that as well. Yonks old though.

beanieripper
    Free Member

I have a pair of XT hubs with well over 30,000 miles on them, yes 30,000 miles and ive just serviced them, no pitting. learn to look after your bike. and shimano DONT do that either…(not that im knocking hope)…

Northwind

Blazin-saddles – Member

They don’t get chance to, the pitting on the bearing races kills them way before

I shall check my Exages forthwith, at 22 years and a bazillion miles they’re probably about to go 🙂

(to be fair, modern Shimano probably won’t do that)

clubber
    Free Member

I’ve had one too. Again, a lot of miles on it.

Replaced foc by hope

Thrustyjust
    Free Member

I have a Hope XC front hub, which 4 of the disc bolt holes have cracked. It had the Mono brake fitted to it for 6 years, so might try my luck on a replacement then…..

garage-dweller

I have cracked LX similarly at less than a year old.

Must service my hope xc hubs as if spares are drying up then I want to take care of them and o eke as much out of them as poss before they get binned.

tandemwarriors

yep, had an ancient front hub fail like that after 12 years, and a Ti-glide rear fail the same way after 14 years. Both times I called Hope and they offered to replace them with Pro II’s at cost price. I’d call that way beyond the call of duty!

ormondroyd
    Free Member

Fair play to Hope! They’re going to replace the hub shell as a warranty job, despite the age of the hub.

mindmap3
    Free Member

Fair play indeed.

One of my rear Bulbs did that and it was replaced no worries.

deejayen
    Free Member

I’ve had other (non Hope) hubs do the same. A wheelbuilder I used said that hubs which are milled are more likely to break in this way than those which are cast (eg Shimano).

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

The topic ‘Old Hope XC hub breakage… Anyone seen this before?’ is closed to new replies.