Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 42 total)
  • Old Hope Components. What are you still using.
  • andysredmini
    Free Member

Following on from another hope thread it got me thinking about the older hope bits i’m still using on my bikes.

I currently still using some big-un hubs which after a bearing change a few years ago and a few pawl cleans and re-greases still run as well as the day i bought them.
    I’m still using an XC headset, again it still works like new and some E4 brakes which cosmetically have seen better days ( road salt corrosion from winter commuting) but still work perfectly. What they lack in modulation they make up for in power.

What else are people still using?

micky
    Free Member

Still using hope mini brakes (pre mono mini) Work well enough for me and easy to service. I have some of the old hope skewers too with the balls on the end of the handles. Classic.

enfht
    Free Member

Given the MTF on all my hope gear has been ~1 year can you define “old” ?

xiphon
    Free Member

Only just upgrade my 2-part silver M4s to Mono6 Ti’s. Still using the same Pro levers.

3 x wheels Bulb hubs. ‘Upgraded’ from 5-bolt to 6-bolt bulb shell about 6 months ago.

Wife’s Patriot has 2-part silver M4s – more than powerful enough for her, and suit the age of the bike.

Also have 2 old ball-end skewers.

z1ppy

Still running a set of Hope XC wheels, a hope headset and original Mini brakes off a 2000 bike (frame broke in 2004) here. Also got a nice Bulb & Pro II wheelsets but I don’t consider either of those old yet..

PS: One of the Mini levers has lately decided to hang further away from it orignal position, but still works fine, anyone know what I need to ‘replace’ on it?

cp

2001 Hope XC hubs here. Used to be used daily, now just once a week. Front is on 2nd set of bearings, and the rear is on second bearings, and second ratchet ring & freehub body.

Still clicking along nicely 🙂

trail_rat
    Free Member

1998 hope big un on the back of my summer season

i did have an early 90s mono on my road bike but the flange snapped after near 20 years service and more miles than i care to remember.

rhid

8 year old Hope XC rear hub. Only just changed the bearings in it. Very very happy with it!

tarka_the_rotter
    Free Member

I’m still using C2s, though the spares situation gets worse with time.

Reluctant
    Free Member

Hope XC hubset from 2003. Couple of bearing changes along the way and the odd cleanout of the freehub. Still going strong 8)

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

i did have an early 90s mono on my road bike but the flange snapped after near 20 years service and more miles than i care to remember.

A friend sent theirs back and got a Pro2 out of it!

Currently using an XC rear and MK2 Bulb front (6-bolt, but pre laser etching).

icicleboy
    Free Member

Still rolling on Hope XC hubs and skewers from 2000 and had a pair of Hope XC4 disc brakes until a couple of years ago. They were great, apart from when they got too hot!!

coffeeking
    Free Member

What are you doing to it?!

I’ve got an old hope lightweight ti hub from about 1992 I think, still running strong. A pair of original C2s with a seal replacement, a mini (pre-mono), the first model of M4.

All working just fine at the moment.

Onzadog
    Free Member

I’m still using a set of E4 brakes and have just sold two others which are still going strong. Also still using some ti bulb hubs with 5 bolt rotors. Perfect working order. Have three other pairs for sale if anyone wants them. Gmail the same username.

Nicknoxx
    Free Member

Big-uns and C2s on the tandem

juan
    Free Member

mini (pre mono)and XC4 brake set, although the later is in need of a rebuild

Thrustyjust
    Free Member

2 hope ti glide rear hubs still in service here. One set with spline and locking disc setup with matching front hub and mono brakes on the wifes bike. The XC ti I have on my bike is in regular service ( daily) and is proving far more reliable than the Pro 2 hub on my single speed and other pro 2’s I know about. Put some decent bearings in last year and spins like a modern hub. Have no reason to want to change it, unless it cracks the disc bolt holes , sadly like the front on did. Great bits of kit.

Gribs

I’ve got a set of xc hubs on my hardtail along with mono m4’s in regular use. My old ht which was given to a mate has a set of c2’s on it and I’ve got a really old hub (not sure which but splined disk fitting) built up as a road wheel.

t-p26
    Free Member

Splined fron disc hub 97ish, an older C2, An early Z1 mount calipered C2, a torque rear armed C2 and a 2004 XC rear,that has had 2 sets of bearings and is in need of a freehub.

Taff
    Free Member

Ive only just stopped using my E4 brakes after 10years of service. Best brakes ever. New bike and new brakes now… Hopes still a better and more reliable performer

oxym0r0n

Pair of Ti hubs (rear is SS screw on) with silver flanges (ooh er) – the front one got used this weekend on the wife’s bike 😀

enfht
    Free Member

QR seat clamp – snapped right down the middle. Probably over-tightened but my saddle kept sliding.

Vision 4 – they told me the reason it stopped working was down to me pulling the connector apart with too much force which was utter bollocks.

Vision 1 – cuts out occasionally. Can’t be bothered sending it back.

Headset – the rubber “seals” were invented in a place where mud does not exist. Starting to feel gritty after approx 12 months. I’m sure they’d blame that on an imaginary jetwash.

Without their legendary service I reckon Hope would generally be avoided. If their 10 yo gear is still going strong they must have dropped their standards in recent years.

passtherizla
    Free Member

I’ve got a set of donated hope mini 3 on my hard tail.. they came off a orange UFO.

tracknicko
    Free Member

have an e4 front brake kicking around with a snapped bleed nipple..

a bolt on adapter that bolts all the way up the fork leg for mounting discs calipers to judy dho’s..

and a circa 96 ish rear qr.

Whathaveisaidnow
    Free Member

my old bike which my brother now has, has old ti hubs with the 5 bolt disks and C2 brakes . . . .i want a go on it . . .lol

OCB
    Free Member

#1. Mono M4’s (the ones with the asymmetric piston sizes) which are great as you can strip them right down properly and replace everything, and then bleed in a way that makes sense (like you’d do a mo-bike).

#2. A headset, which I’ve never really been entirely happy about – it seems to work well enough, but it never really feels like it pre-loads properly … so I’m always left wondering about it.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Just given an 8yr old XC hub to my lad to put on his HT to replace the crappy Shimano things that were on, smooth as silk & clicking nicely. I’ve had a fair bit of old Hope stuff that I’ve upgraded with more Hope stuff.

ENFHT, I reckon your’e really UN-LUCKEEE! 😆

rc200f8
    Free Member

Hope sport 5 arm spider disc hubs, original hope Ti quick releases, 2 hope ti square taper bottom brackets, 2 sets of original hope minis, 1 set of original M4s

cookeaa

still using a first gen bulb on my DH bike its been on cour bikes with me and at least two with previous owners…

stevehine

My Hope XC Hubs and C2 brakes refuse to die and provide spinning duties and stopping on my mates Marin.

I’ve claimed first dibs if he ever decides to upgrade them 😉

The C2’s are circa 1999; wheels were built in 2001

Margin-Walker
    Free Member

coffeeking – Member

What are you doing to it?!

I’ve got an old hope lightweight ti hub from about 1992 I think, still running strong.

same here- silver rear ti glide now on my cross bike from 1994

theroadwarrior
    Free Member

Still have an original mini front brake from my ~2000 muddy fox (actually had cantis when I bought it, so was a considerable upgrade)

xiphon
    Free Member

OCB – mono M4, as in the black ones? They’re not old!

amedias
    Free Member

2 sets of 1995 Ti-glides (1might be ’96)
    1 set of screw on SS hubs from 97ish
    2 sets of 2000 – 2002 XC disc hubs

1999 XC4 brakes
    some 2000 ish minis
    some 2002 ish M4s

and various mixtures of above that have passed onto friends over the years. Total amount of failures equates to one set of pawls and springs about 5 years ago in one of the XC hubs.

and then some modern Pro2 and Tech X2 tosh that I won’t really accept until it’s at least a decade old.

joao3v16
    Free Member

I’m still using my 1st-generation M4 disc brakes.

Other than new seals/pads, all original.

Not sure exactly how old they are. Around 10 years I reckon.

Rio

Still using some original Hope minis from about 2002, finally got them to stop squealing about 3 years ago so I guess they’re now nicely bedded in. Also some XC hubs, on their third set of bearings but still going strong. Oh, and some 8 year old gold anodised bar end plugs, but they’re looking a bit the worse for wear and may get pensioned off soon.

alanf
    Free Member

Hope E4’s from 2001
    Hope M4’s (pre mono) not sure of year 2003?
    Hope xc hubs (front / rear) 2001
    Hope bulb hubs (front / rear x3) not sure of year

Great products and a bit of maintenance keeps them in tip top condition for years

mattjg
    Free Member

All my brakes are Hope, from ’02 Minis to ’12 Race X2.

What was Hope’s first product and how did they get started?

slowoldgit
    Free Member

C2s – but I don’t go ever so fast.

And C2s might have been Hope’s first big product. IIRC, the guys rode mtbs and motorbikes, wanted to try discs on mtbs, had to make their own.

_tom_
    Free Member

Got an old XC hub still kicking around in the shed.. doesn’t get used any more as my bikes have 20mm axles… for sale if anyone wants the wheel (laced onto an xc717 rim).

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 42 total)

The topic ‘Old Hope Components. What are you still using.’ is closed to new replies.