Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Old Hollowtech crank removal?
  • stevied
    Free Member

I’m doing up my mates bike and need to remove the chainset (old LX hollowtech type). Is there a way to do it without a crank extractor? Don’t really want to buy a tool I’m only going to use once..
    Cheers

wordnumb
    Free Member

Is it an octalink one? If so you can use 2x one penny instead of the plug, but you’re going to need a crank extractor. You can get the two largest rings of a 3 ring set off without removing the crank.

soobalias
    Free Member

gonna need the tool.

perhaps post up your location and see if someone locally has one you can borrow.

it will likely take all of 2mins to remove the cranks. sounds like you are intending to remove the BB, do you have the tool for that?

iolo
    Free Member

Cation with the penny trick, if they are really stuck on there is a strong chance you will strip the thread.

mindmap3
    Free Member

As above, you’ll need a crank extractor and ideally one of the nifty little metal plugs that Shimano made for the axle.

IHN

Undo the bolts and ride the bike around for a bit (gently) until the arms loosen, then pull ’em off.

IHN

Alternatively, borrow the tool. I have one in Cirencester if that’s any help.

thomthumb
    Free Member

is it not self extracting?

codybrennan
    Free Member

There are 2 types- the one you want to have has an ‘inner’ self extractor, which winds out anti-clockwise with an 8mm allen key. The outer is 10mm. Have a look inside the 10mm and see if you can make out the 8mm socket.

If it just has the outer 10mm one then I think you need an ISIS type crank remover.

IHN

Undo the bolts and ride the bike around for a bit (gently) until the arms loosen, then pull ’em off.

Seriously, this will work. My rat bike as a Hollowtech crank and one of the bolts works loose over time, and with it the crank arm. Just slacken off the bolts a couple of turns and go for a ride around the block.

goldenwonder
    Free Member

Go & see your friendly LBS with a packet of biscuits/cake/beer?

brassneck

Seriously, this will work. My rat bike as a Hollowtech crank and one of the bolts works loose over time, and with it the crank arm. Just slacken off the bolts a couple of turns and go for a ride around the block.

Certainly will, my missus crank was falling off after 2 school trips till I bought a new bolt and washer set.

Go & see your friendly LBS with a packet of biscuits/cake/beer?

For a one off this is also an idea. Though you may be able to buy the tool for less than beer now!

stevied
    Free Member

Thanks for the replies. I’ll give the ‘ride it round the block’ a go 1st and see if that works, if not I’ll try my friendly LBS.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Old Hollowtech crank removal?’ is closed to new replies.