Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Old Gits & Tall Tales
  • teef
    Free Member

Watching the BBC4 'Call of the Wild' season the other night and there was a woman telling a tale about how in the 1930s they used to go out cycling at 9am and return home at 9pm. Reminded me of a few occasions I've ended up listening to some old gits telling me how they used to cycle from London to Bristol/York and back in a day. Build their own bikes, stay in Youth Hostels and cycle 2000 miles in the Scottish highlands in a fortnight.

What's the tallest tale you've heard from some old git and did you believe it?

druidh
    Free Member

teef – Member
    Watching the BBC4 'Call of the Wild' season the other night and there was a woman telling a tale about how in the 1930s they used to go out cycling at 9am and return home at 9pm.

You've never been out cycling for 12 hours?

TooTall
    Free Member

MY uncle, some 60 years ago, used to ride from Newcastle to Edinburgh on a Saturday, yoof hostel overnight and back again on the Sunday – on cane rimmed wheels.

Why should older folks not have had long distance adventures?

tang
    Free Member

my grandmother cycled from london to cornwal with her sisters before the war. 14 15 and 16 they were at the time with camping gear. also weekends all over the place. she was horrified i wanted to spend 500 on a bike when i was 14 that id only ride round the woods.

andy_hamgreen

youth believes nothing invented before they graced the world shock horror !
    reminds me of my kids…..

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘Old Gits & Tall Tales’ is closed to new replies.