Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Old games on a basic laptop?
  • Northwind

I’m thinking of getting a fairly basic laptop, a Dell Inspiron 15 with the T4500 processor, 3gb ram, and integrated graphics (4500HD). Now I’m realistic, I know that’s just useless for many modern games but I’m wondering how it’s likely to do with some of my old, timesink favourites like Civ 4. I’m pretty comfortable it has the power, but unsure about compatability… Anyone got any experience?

mboy
    Free Member

Civ4 has minimum req’s on GFX card, processor power and RAM on the box doesn’t it?

Well, mine does, I’ll dig the box out I a bit.

But I’m 99% certain the integrated video chip on your proposed laptop won’t suffice. You’ll need some kind of dedicated GFX processor for sure, though it won’t need to be mega powerful.

joemarshall
    Free Member

Integrated graphics cards are a lot more powerful than they used to be, and that’s quite an old game. I’d be surprised if it didn’t run.

But I’m 99% certain the integrated video chip on your proposed laptop won’t suffice. You’ll need some kind of dedicated GFX processor for sure, though it won’t need to be mega po

Integrated graphics is a dedicated gfx processor surely , it just happens to be stuck on a different place on the motherboard / on a different bit of chip, and shares memory with the CPU.

Northwind

mboy – Member

Civ4 has minimum req’s on GFX card, processor power and RAM on the box doesn’t it?

It does, and muscle wise the 4500HD should be up to it but it’s stuff like shader support etc and suitable drivers that all gets a bit occult and beyond my understanding tbh.

sobriety
    Free Member

http://www.abandonia.com for really old games…

Olly
    Free Member

if you can run Deus Ex (the first one), that its the best game that has ever been, or ever will be.

Incredible

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

I’ve got Deus Ex somewhere…

sobriety
    Free Member

if you can run Deus Ex (the first one), that its the best game that has ever been, or ever will be.

Nah, fallout 1&2 were waaaaaaay better 😉

Olly
    Free Member

Fallout 1 and 2 wer jolly good

Deus Ex is directly comparable with Fallout 3, only 10 years earlier, and with a cracking conspiracy story (which fallout lacks, being essentially a sandbox)

cranberry
    Free Member

Deus Ex was utterly brilliant in storyline and the huge amount of gameplay that it provided.

There is a Deus Ex sequel coming out this year – it has a lot to live up to.

oliverd1981
    Free Member

I have Sim city and Red Alert 2 shoehorned onto my netbook in case I ever need to waste some more time.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Old games on a basic laptop?’ is closed to new replies.