Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 58 total)
  • Old full suspension frames, where are they all?
  • lister

There must be loads of mid 2000’s bikes out there for sale. I’m looking for small full sus frames for my kids when we head to the Alps next summer.
    Kona made loads of different bikes, Giant, Trek, Specialized as well.

Can you help me with model names to search ebay/gumtree etc please?

Thanks!

falkirk-mark

specialized fsr xc

beej

I’ve got a medium Marin East Peak hanging in the garage – a 2005 I think.

So that’s one of them.

orangeboy
    Free Member

Kona stinky , coiler, coiler air
    Spesh enduro , enduro sx , stump jumper etc

Fsr xc was a short travel bike

What sort of thing are you after

Royston
    Free Member

I have an Orange Five from 2005 (still riding it, still fit for purpose).

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Considering the offers I’m getting for my 2012 SC’s here in Oz I’d be looking much newer, anything 2010 on should be a bargain and compatible with taper etc.

Northwind

Mine is ziptied to the garage roof! A lot of them are basically just worth the price of the shock now.

At the risk of making this a stealth for sale ad, I’ve got one of my Cotic Hemlock frames more or less available- I planned to keep it as a momento but I realised I have a whole second frame of spares/damaged parts which is the more ridden bike anyway so it’d be nice for the good one to get a new life… Might be suitable, I had a great time in the alps on it with a set of Lyriks in the front.

milky1980
    Free Member

They’re all worth squat so the owners are either leaving them at the back of the shed or they’ve gone to the tip.

specialized fsr xc

Had a 2010 one of these (frame and shock only) for sale for over a year and no-one was interested. But then it was the last of the straight steerer, QR axle and steep geometry generation so no real market.

A lot of them are basically just worth the price of the shock now.

Shock was sold separately for £30 and the frame was scrapped a few months back. The only bike I was happy to chuck though, didn’t like it too much.

matt_outandabout

We have Specialized FSr XC and Santa Cruz Superlight mk2.

manton69

I have an original Turner Burner which is a small that I bought for my wife. I now use it as my alps bike as it owes me nothing and I love the way it handles some of the big stuff. They are still out there and it may be worth a punt on the wanted page to see if you can get a few out of the woodwork. Meanwhile my son is now nicking my bike so I will be building up another old Turner Flux as his next bike 🙂

blackmountainsrider
    Free Member

My gf has a Xs Kona minxy frame I need to get rid of. It’s a women’s version of a stinky. Comes with a fox dhx 5 shock. It builds into a nice mini DH bike. Sizing wise she was a touch tall for it at 5ft 3. If it’s of interest at all let me know.

mlke
    Free Member

Old hardtails get used as hack bikes/commuter bikes/single speeds but there isn’t a natural role for old full suspension bikes

daern
    Free Member

Really good (i.e. light) small and extra small FS frames are actually quite hard to get hold of as they get snapped up pretty quickly for the exact purpose you said.

Some were also very rare to start with – e.g. we have a women’s Giant Trance in size XS, which they hardly sold any of in the first place and obviously it makes a fine bike for kids. Sadly my wife uses this one 🙂

Getting small frames isn’t so hard, but getting good quality, light small frames is tough. I’d watch out for Scott, Specialized, Giant and Santa Cruz as these do come up reasonably often, but don’t expect to get them for free.

rudyard197
    Free Member

2009 small Commencal Meta 5 frame and a med 2011 meta 5 full bike hung in my garage that haven’t moved for years. Was hoping to keep for my daughter but so out of date and worthless already. Keeping “just in case”!

tazzymtb

Small rocky mountain etsx adjustable travel from 3-5″ with a fox rp23 if you want it £130 posted

matt_outandabout

Fwiw our Superlight is a loan from SirlingCrispin who also clocked the headset was worth more than the frame 🙂

Our FSR is two months use from new for a business, unused for 7-8years since then, so totally minted, was £275 from a pal.

The market for straight steerer, steep n shorter frames is not big. That said, both ours were battered around the Alps this summer…

stumpy01

If you go too old, you’ll run into problems with getting other components for the frames unless you are looking at getting a complete bike.

I wouldn’t be looking at anything that only had a straight steerer, given that virtually all forks now have tapered steerers.

Even my 2010 alloy Stumpjumper FSR had a straight steerer; the carbon version was tapered.

simondbarnes

I’ve got a medium SC Blur lying around from 2003 that hasn’t been built into a bike for many years now. So there’s another one.

mark90
    Free Member

Early 2000’s Orange Patriot frame gathering dust in my garage. 16″ if of any interest.

onewheelgood

Cannondale Raven anyone http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/152705190978 ?

daern
    Free Member

I wouldn’t be looking at anything that only had a straight steerer, given that virtually all forks now have tapered steerers.

I’d agree with this and it doesn’t make it any easier to source frames…

Probably the only reason to not get a tapered frame is that there are some really cheap used, straight steerer forks knocking about, so if you can pick up a good set (or know how to return them to decent condition) then you might build a bargain. I sold my last pair of SS forks (Pace RC41 carbon) for < £100 on retrobike, but in truth they were still excellent forks providing you don’t mind servicing them every 3 months 🙂

There’s loads of other brands out there too, some of which you wouldn’t even consider. I built my son’s new bike around a small, carbon Haibike (non-electric!) frame, which I didn’t even know existed and it’s made a superbly light, versatile bike for him.

trail_rat
    Free Member

ive been on the spy for an older Kona Stinky or stinky delux from 99-2000 in large

but then given we all snapped ours back then(thinking we were brett tippie) i guess most of them went the same way.

PJM1974
    Free Member

I have a 2004 Enduro frame hanging from my front room wall.

In the early 2000s, it was awesome but the Camber I replaced it with was lower, slacker, stiffer and much faster.

chakaping
    Free Member

Giant Trance were good bikes, as were the 26in Trek Fuel EX. Lapierre Zesty was brilliant.

Assuming you want trail bikes rather than longer-travel shred sleds?

twohats
    Free Member

I’ve a medium 2006 ano black SC Nomad with a DHX coil on it sat in the loft…

shermer75
    Free Member

Giant VT2 was an amazing frame, sold mine for peanuts a few years ago..

hot_fiat

trail_rat – you want the slightly later stinky, from 2001 onwards. They changed the swing arm and the front triangle (which previously came from the design for Thomas Misser’s DH bike!) to deal with the propensity for the things to become a pair of unicycles.

lister as discussed on whatsapp: Dawg, bear, one20, lisa, cadabra, tanuki, kikapu (but check on konaworld as some have next to no travel).

Teetosugars
    Free Member

I’ve a medium Cannondale Jekyll circa 2002 hung up at the back of my mum’s garage.

trail_rat
    Free Member

hot fiat – its a bit like wanting a car from your youth 😀

we all know the mk2 is always better than the mk1….but its not the same is it.

i did nearly buy the XL red nicolai off ebay but my lyrics aint long enough in the steerer .

Speeder

There’s been a couple of comments about compatibility but all the components that fitted way back when there were only a few standards will still fit. It’s only the brand new 142/boost/27.5/15mm stuff that won’t. The good old stuff will always be good stuff and geo can easily be brought up to date by an angleset and offset bushes. Especially i it’s for smaller stature riders as short cranks can be fitted to compensate and they really won’t notice if the geo is a couple of mm or a degree or so out.

I’d definitely be looking at an xs Trance if they were available, mine was great.

HERE‘s a cheap small on on Pinkbike

THIS ones a bit later/lighter but more expensive.

THIS one a bit more again

THIS looks pretty damn good too mind and is way different

hot_fiat

True enough, i remeber seeing the original Stinky at the last malverns. It was a thing of beauty.

andywnpt

Still riding my 2003 Santa Cruz Blur, works for the riding I enjoy. Will update when something expensive wears out and I haven’t spent the cash on travelling!

daern
    Free Member

I’d definitely be looking at an xs Trance if they were available, mine was great.

As the OP specifically requested a bike for kids, I wouldn’t bother with a coil shock as they are much harder to tune for very light riders compared to air shocks which can be reset for each ride depending on whether they are carrying a rucksack etc. (which makes a real difference for light riders!)

I’d agree on the Trance. They’re great bikes, nice and light and very easy to work on. Highly underrated IMHO.

chiefgrooveguru

I bet you can pick up an early Boardman full-sus for not a lot – they’re bendy with an adult on board but will be fine with a child. Offset bushing to lower and slacken?

lardman
    Free Member

I have bought 3 XS Giant Trance frames in the last 2 years as they’re perfect for kids, if you run 24″ wheels.
    2 from here, 1 from Ebay.

all about the £100 mark. Ive had the shocks re-valved for the lighter weight of my boys and the ride great.

daern
    Free Member

I have bought 3 XS Giant Trance frames in the last 2 years

Wow! I don’t think I’ve even seen one of them, so you’re doing really well there! I suspect you have the whole UK stock 🙂

lardman
    Free Member

One of the previous posts linked to exactly the frames (built up) i have, for sale on PinkBike right now.
    This in fact

I just built them up myself with bits more specific to the little peoples needs.

I’m sure they must still be available.

amedias
    Free Member

They gather in dark corners of sheds, garages and lofts, often missing the one key bushing/bearing/axle/shock that would let them live again…well that’s certainly my experience…

Ebay, Gumtree and FB are a good source, but often the older ones have already gone through one round of being cobbled together from spares so you may have to buy a full bike with crappy bits on and strip it (and sell them if you can), often works out cheaper than buying just a frame.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 58 total)

The topic ‘Old full suspension frames, where are they all?’ is closed to new replies.