Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Old frame and hubs – 1×11?
  • solar
    Free Member

The drivetrain is completely shot on my 08 trance x so I thought I’d use this opportunity to jump on the 1×11 bangwagon with SRAM GX and see what the fuss is about. I’ve got original hope pro2 hubs (135mm)not EVOs, so I understand I need HUB254 to convert if I want to use a SRAM XD driver. I went to the LBS to order one but he reckons my old frame can’t accommodate 1×11 (shimano or sram) as I’d need a 142 at the back. So can I run 1×11 on the old frame, or do I need to stick with 1×10? Will an XT 11 speed cassette work on the old pro2 hub as is if the XD driver doesn’t?

sillyoldman

You can run 11 speed no problem on 135.

With Sram you need a new freehub body (and endcap?).

With Shimano the cassette will work with your existing freehub body.

njee20
    Free Member

^^ this

Shimano no changes needed at all. SRAM needs new axle/bearings (to Evo your hub), then XD body and end cap.

Frame is a non issue though.

Onzadog
    Free Member

Was it the Saturday lad or do you need to find a more knowledgeable lbs?

munrobiker
    Free Member

As above you can stick on a Shimano cassette of your choice in 11 speed with no changes, this will work with either Sram GX or Shimano XT 11 speed mechs and shifters.

torsoinalake
    Free Member

Was it the Saturday lad or do you need to find a more knowledgeable lbs?

Whoever it was, you’ve got to give him credit for trying to upsell from a £50 freehub to a new frame/bike.

bigblackshed

What they said.

XT will go straight on your Pro2s. SRAM will require the axle conversion and the free hub body.

You also need a new LBS.

pickle
    Free Member

Looking at maybe doing this as well and wondered exactly the same. XT rear hub so i guess it’ll fit right on.

What sort of gearing would you choose? going from an old 3 ring 9 speed set up i’m concerned about not having enough gears for climbing.

Poopscoop

Yeah, just went sram 1×11 on a 135mm pro 2 evo hub.

Cost wise I would go for Shimano if I’m honest. The xd driver is costly and you need to change axle etc too. The cassette is damned costly too!

Don’t get me wrong, my new gx 11 setup is great but it was a costly option. I mainly went sram as I only use gripshift. So Shimano wasn’t an option.

Onzadog
    Free Member

Pickle, going from 3×9 11-34 22-32-44 to 11-42 x 30 will lose about one gear from your climbing. Most of the loss is top end on the road and down fire roads. Try the gear calculator linked above.

Adam_Buckland
    Free Member

Sorry to add to your pain Mr Scoop but you can use any combination of Sram and Shimano on 11spd, I use grip shift with XTR cassette and mech, there are a number of people on here that use Shimano shifters with Sram rear ends. To help OP, XT cassette will work a treat on your current wheels and save a fortune, the frame thing is baloney.

Tracey

Shimano 1 x 11 on our 2007 Chameleon working a treat. The old 9 speed had seen better days. 18 Bikes sorted the change over.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Old frame and hubs – 1×11?’ is closed to new replies.