Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Old forks and disc brakes
  • tron
    Free Member

A mate's got an old Orange Gringo – I think 2000 or 2001 model.

It's got Manitou (Magnum?) forks on it, which are a coil / elastomer unit. So far as I can see, the elastomer acts as a bump stop and perhaps provides a bit of damping.

It's also got what look like post mount fixings for a brake caliper. Now – are they post mount? Were things standardised back then? Or can I expect some random fixing and a selection of adaptors to make a caliper fit?

wwaswas

Manitou have always been PM I think.

Personally I'd be wary of disks on a fork of that vintage – they tend to be a bit 'twangy' with disks.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Yup they were standardised (and possibly sh1te!)

EDIT: unless they are structurally damaged I can't see why not to use (small) discs on them.

clubber
    Free Member

They're PM but Manitou's were really crap around then

nickjb
    Free Member

Some early ones had a slightly closer spacing (69mm?) As others have said they'll be a bit rubbish, you'll get better forks for £20 from the classifieds

DezB
    Free Member

MrsDezb's bike has old Manitous and the mount spacing is definitely NOT standard post mount. I guess it's what nickjb says – 69mm.

Hang on I'll find a pic.

DezB
    Free Member

I seem to recall try to find an adapter a while ago, but gave up. Her v-brakes work brilliantly anyway.

tron
    Free Member

Righto, looks like I'm after a cheap set of forks too!

The V-posts are missing, so it seems a bit daft to go buying them, then some v-brakes. Will end up costing almost as much as a second hand set of discs.

nickjb
    Free Member

You might get a few quid on 'retrobike'

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

They're PM but Manitou's were really crap around then

Mostly. X-verts and a couple of their DH forks were pretty good though, although they did need as much love as modern Fox units.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Old forks and disc brakes’ is closed to new replies.