Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Old dollar bills
  • nickjb
    Free Member

I’m off to America soon. I’ve got a few old dollar bills (20s,10s and 1s) from about 10 years ago. These look different to the current bills. Anyone know if they are still legal or will they be as welcome as a Scottish £5 in London?

notlocal
    Free Member

Not totally sure, but I think they change notes on a regular basis to thwart forgers. You may find the embassy can help. They MIGHT be in the position to exchange valid old notes. I assume you still require a visa before you go. so ask when making contact. Hope this helps.

infradig
    Free Member

yes they spend just like the newer bills. new bills have better security features but they just get added into circulation and don’t replace the older style currency.

*US citizen*

konabunny
    Free Member

They’re still legal tender. Check US Treasury website for more, if you’re bothered.

“You may find the embassy can help. They MIGHT be in the position to exchange valid old notes. I assume you still require a visa before you go. so ask when making contact.”

Calling US embassy’s 0898 phone line to get a baffled clerk at the other end probably won’t work out effective! UK citizens don’t require a visa for tourism – they travel under Visa Waiver Program. You don’t need to apply in advance (generally) but you may need to submit some info through your travel agent/airline.

psychle
    Free Member

word of advice… the US Visa Waiver Program has change recently, it’s now called the ‘Electronic System for Travel Authorization (ESTA). It’s the same thing really, but you now HAVE to get advance approval by applying via this website:

ESTA application

Don’t forget to do this, if you turn up at the airport without it you will not be able to fly!

konabunny
    Free Member

Good to know (in fact, the ESTA is technically part of the VWP – if you don’t do ESTA, you don’t qualify for the waiver). What a hassle.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Old dollar bills’ is closed to new replies.