Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Old Claud Butler Cape Wrath headset question
  • Green

Just rebuilding my old (2002 ish)Cape Wrath, and I need a new headset, it's semi integrated and I have replaced it once before..about 4 years ago with a second hand one off here, its a semi integrated headset and I assumed they were all the same, guy in the local bikeshop said they arent and it looked as if the headtube was damaged..it was knurreled inside, and he thought the lip about 15mm down should have been more defined.

So this time I want to make sure I get the right one, i've tried contacting falcon, but no joy. Anyone happen to know what it originally came with, I'm sure it was either Tioga or Cane Creek, the one i fitted was cane creek.

angryratio
    Free Member

I've got a rock frame which is nearly identical to one your describing i think…

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=39377

That ought to fit.. the standard model.

Fit it with a plank and a hammer as i have many times to this frame.
    It'll be fine.

Green

The rock looks very similar, out of interest what does the inside of the headtube looklike? The guy in the shop was expecting a totaly smooth finish with well defined lip inside for the headset to sit against. I cant see how the headset I fitted would have knurlled the inside as it was lower than the bearing cups would sit. My though was it was a cheap frame and so the finish wouldnt have been great.

angryratio
    Free Member

Cheap frame… poor ish finish i suppose.
    There is a ridge that runs round the tube..
    and 15mm insert depth sounds right.
    the insert area is slightly tapered where a cup presses in.. which in turn holds bearings.

Love mine though. Excellent cheap hardtail with decent geometry

Green

Cheers, I'll give one of those ritchy headsets a go.

As you say excellent cheap hardtail, rebuilding as a winter bike.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘Old Claud Butler Cape Wrath headset question’ is closed to new replies.