Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Old chestnut – newish cheap car or older 'quality car'?
  • FOG

Time for a new motor. In the past I have looked for 2 yr old ex fleet type cars like astras or focuses which can be had for a lot less than new. However swmbo says she fancies something a bit fancier. If we do go for say an Audi I would have to buy something older than usual to fit the budget. So is it worth buying an older Audi, BM etc or stick with a newer less fancy car? And to take this even further ,what about a cheapo make, Kia or something? I’m not a Jeremy so function would be more important than form.

robinlaidlaw
    Free Member

Remember, and this is always true, if you buy an old car for £10k that would have been £50k new, your running costs will be those of a £50k car, not those of a £10k car.

That said, I’m running an ’03 BMW 530d that would have been £40k+ new, I paid £6k for it about 3 years ago. I love it and in my opinion it’s the way to go but servicing and parts will be dear, so budget that in from the beginning. It’s been reliable but there’s definitely an effect with older “nice” cars where you end up spending a bit more to keep it spot on because it seems a shame not to on such a nice car, so you do wee jobs you might not have bothered with on a cheaper car.

br
    Free Member

I bought a 10 y/o 535i BMW when I just needed a ‘run-around’. Only paid £2k and had it for 5 years. Quality motoring, but not cheap to run (nothing +£40k new is ever cheap to run) – next-to-no depreciation thou.

Horses for courses.

But, what a cracking place to be – big comfort, everything worked and loads of power – and anyone who isn’t into cars will think you paid a fortune.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    Woody
    Free Member

But, what a cracking place to be – big comfort, everything worked and loads of power

Feel exactly like that about my Saab 9-5 estate (180 Bhp) and it cost me £900. By the time it’s due an MOT in 4 months time I will have spent another £500 but that should see me through to another year and 20k miles barring disasters!

Very cheap comfortable motoring 😀

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

I got an old V70 for 4500, it’s worth spending a few quid to keep it running. You get luxury car motoring and whilst cost are a bit higher, they occur a little less often

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘Old chestnut – newish cheap car or older 'quality car'?’ is closed to new replies.