• This topic has 20 replies, 11 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by cjr61.
Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Old Cannondale Jekyll…what was it like? (Early 2000's)
  • cjr61

So I have pretty much a complete bike but sort of just missing an actual frame. Want to build a super cheap 26″ wheel full suss bike around some 120mm tapered forks. On my budget (£50) for complete frame I’m looking at 10year veterans rather than something more recent. I was inspired by a recent ‘Dale Prohpet rebuild thread and really fancied one of those to tinker with. The reality is that a Jekyll might be more my price range (unless anyone has a shed dust bucket they don’t mind parting with cheaply!). The cannondales seem a good option for tapered forks.

So the question: is the Jekyll worth me chasing and watching out for or is there a better alternative for 120mm tapered bouncey fun?

Voodoo Canzo? trance?

Any advice or abuse always welcome.

Rock on and ride happy.

bullandbladder
    Free Member

wouldnt you need a straight steerer for a Jeckyll (or anything of similar vintage)?

amedias
    Free Member

wouldnt you need a straight steerer for a Jeckyll (or anything of similar vintage)?

nope, all ‘Dales since Headshok’s arrived (90’s) have full on 1.5 compatible headtube (apart for some low end hardtails that were standard headtube even after Headshoks), and can take any steerer size but you do need to fit appropriate headset.

This is worth bearing in mind OP, if you are on that tight a budget then don’t forget you’ll need a new headset as the original fitment Cannondale one uses their pressfit bearings and will NOT fit a tapered steerer (or indeed any non-Dale steerer) in standard form.

You do however have many options for headsets/convertors so make sure you get the right one!

Also, to answer your original question, old Jekyll’s are not bad actually, int he slack and low setting they are suprisingly modern geometry wise and handle well enough, BUT they do use funny trunnion mounted shocks, so either find one with a well maintained shock or bear in mind you may find it difficult to get spares, and you cna’t just bolt any old modern shock in there. They were all mostly Fox (float) units though so inside are pretty standard so seals and whatnot should still be available, you may even be able to get modernish (RP2/RP23) gubbins retr-fitted into the original body but don’t quote me on that!

Keep an eye out for old Scott Nitrous frames as well as they are very sturdy, ride well, and have 1.5 inch headtube and can often be had for peanuts 2nd hand as everyone seems to have forgotten that they were actually rather good!

You are somewhat limited though if you’re trying to find something that cheap and to fit a tapered fork, have you considered swapping/selling the tapered fork, getting something 1 1/8th and opening up your frame options a bit more or are you dead set on using the fork you have?

spw3

Ok for once I actually know the answer to this one! I owned a baby blue v1 with 125mm travel and then a black v2 with 135mm travel.

It’s ok. I actually rather liked it but sold mine in favour of a SH Prophet frame bc I wanted something with a bit more grrrr. I doubt you will get one for £50 but I may be wrong.

The interrupted seat tube limits your ability to drop the saddle and the 27.2mm seatpost will limit dropper post as well I imagine.

The single pivot suspension is durable but wallows if you want to run it with 30% sag.

It’s not as light as you might expect it to be.

Although the shock position is adjustable you will only ever run it in “FR” mode which gives it a 68 degree head angle IIRC.

The cannondale head tube means you can run pretty much any fork you want. I ran mine with a140mm Lefty.

ajantom

I borrowed one for a few days in the Pyrenees about 7/8 years ago.

The positives were that it climbed well, and was pretty light.

The negatives were that it felt like a very tall frame for the size, and the rear felt quite flexy on the downs. It’ll probably feel quite short and twitchy compared to most modern frames.

collinstiffee
    Free Member

I borrowed one a couple of years back. was very impressed with the spec but it was pretty twitchy. Crashed it a few times. gave it back.

bubs

Think you are a bit far away for this but I have a l/xl one that has been hanging in the shed that I would get rid of for £50. I am the original owner too as this was a stop gap bike in the days I had money before kids. It was fun to ride, only things that annoyed me were the silly cable collars and the limited clearance on the back wheel. Think mine was the last year before Prophets took over.

cjr61

Thanks all for the replies. All good thoughts and much appreciated advice.

Amedias – good point re headset. I got the forks as karma gift through here so could swap but obviously wouldn’t want to sell. If I could swap then any suggestions for cheap frame?

Bubs – dropped you a curious email!

z1ppy

Good plan but as above, think you’ll struggle to get a good one for £50 (bearings/shock wise) & the headset maybe surprisingly expensive. Worth watching out for C’dale Prophet SL, the 120mm version of the prophet, same frame but shorter shock to match a shorter (120 mm) fork, as these confuse most ppl & go cheaper than normal prophets.
    Also check out Giants such as the VT, as these are coming very cheap & have 44mm headtubes that can fit a tapered fork using an external lower cup (though lots of suspension bearings to potentially replace, it’s very easy & relatively cheap sizes)

Teetosugars
    Free Member

Yup, I loved mine.. I’ve still got the frame hanging up in the stable at my mums house.
    Often wondered about rebuilding it, but as has been mentioned, the shock needs a complete overhaul, so not sure if possible..

cjr61

hmmm…the giant idea sounds nice too! The sensible would be to swap the forks for something more sensible….but the fun project says plough on with the big headtube idea!

bubs

I’m in Redhill, Surrey. My old Jekyll is 135mm rear travel and so 120mm forks may make it a bit too twitchy even on slack mode. I used to run 145mm Nixons. It is a big bike (check geomtery) but is fairly light. It has a reducer headset fitted. No idea about state of pivot or shock but was serviced before hanging up 8-9 years ago.
    As above, I would try and swap your fork for a straight steerer and then you will have more options….old marins were fun, low maintenance and can be picked up cheaply. Giants are also worth a look.

cjr61

Sounds perhaps a bit twitchy with 120mm forks perhaps then. Anyone have a prophet SL lying about?

If not then chunky headtube giant or plan B and get sensible sized forks!

bubs

It’s not a complete no-no as many originally came with 120mm forks. It just makes for a low bb and a lively feel, great for smooth trails, less good when things get interesting….high top tube meant it was hard to get off in a hurry too.

ChunkyMTB
    Free Member

I had one back in 2001. Great bike, very refined ride. Mine came with 2×9 xtr.

Only sold it as I wanted something a lot slacker and longer travel as I stsrted doing Alpine trips.

cjr61

Hi Bubs, with the reducer headset is that for straight steerer forks? Perhaps shouldn’t be interested due to possible twitchiness but worryingly I am!

cjr61

Ps I’m thinking xc stuff and trail centre so nothing too dramatic!

bubs

To be honest, if it is the right size for you (6ft +) and you can somehow pick it up, you can have it for free. The reducer headset is down to a straight 1 1/8 steerer. You could probably just get a different lower cup and crown race for a tapered steerer. Cable stops will be more of a pain. You would have to bodge something or track down a pack, otherwise the cables will just fall away from the frame. It is not going anywhere so keep looking then drop me an email.

Garry_Lager

Definitely a tall bike, as said. Worth digging up a geo chart to see what the standover is like for you.

cjr61

Bubs, that’s awesome of you! I travel down the M40 fairly often so will try and work logistics to come by you. I’m a shade under 6ft3 so it will fit a treat. Do you we come Northbound?

Thanks again, exciting project!

cjr61

Bubs, drop me a mail when you get a chance and we can hopefully sort some movement of the frame!

Excited like a kid at Christmas now 😀

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Old Cannondale Jekyll…what was it like? (Early 2000's)’ is closed to new replies.