Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • old blokes on old bikes
  • slimtubing
    Free Member

Seen riding round my locale most mornings are the following:
    ancient grizzled beardy old wizard type on an immaculate ’94 Kona Kula
    “”” “””” “””” “””” on a Yellow Saracin Tufftrax
    slightly mad looking old bloke on a Checker Pig from late 80s.
    Makes me smile to see these objects of lust from yesteryear having a long and productive life.

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

Proper MTBers, I was once one of them on me trusty 94 GT Timberline, until i discovered this place. Now I daren’t go out unless I’m looking super fly.

racefaceec90

i saw a guy yesterday (whilst picking up skyrim) riding a grey gt pantera 🙂

bullheart
    Free Member

I regularly get my arse handed to me by a old fella with the complexion of a four hundred year old oak tree on a Saracen…

neilsonwheels
    Free Member

There’s a gent who I see regularly on a single speed road bike. The gearing looks huuuge and he seems to clock about 18 mph+ on it. He must be in his 70’s and if he isn’t then he’s had a hard life.

paulosoxo
    Free Member

Hard as nails old boys are where it’s at.

andrewy

There’s a guy round my way who rides about on an immaculate Klein attitude, in pink white and green, still an object of desire for me (the bike that is 🙂 ). Met him in the park and he told me he also has a curly Hetchins, so clearly a man of taste.

kevj
    Free Member

I saw an old fella just yesterday leaving a pub and climbing on a mid nineties purple Klein. Put a smile on my face.

Also, earlier in the year we had a weekend up GT and kept seeing this old dude with full Santa Claus white beard on a hardtail just ‘show up’ at various places around the forest. Never actually saw him ride though.

epicyclo

slimtubing – Member
    …Makes me smile to see these objects of lust from yesteryear having a long and productive life.

Please tell me you are talking about the bikes, and not the old blokes…. 🙂

slimtubing
    Free Member

lol^ brilliant! 😆

GDRS

There is a Klien vibe. There is a chap I would say in his mid / late sixties that I have seen burning around Richmond Park (not gnarly) but he is tanking it on a nice big fat tubed purple Klien.

He looks a bit like skeletor. Never with a helmet – instead protecting himself from falls by a bandana.

I thought he looked like Keith Richards the first time I saw him…..

epicyclo

slimtubing – Member
    lol^ brilliant!

I’m an old bloke. He was making me nervous…. 🙂

OCB
    Free Member

Pah, old bearded blokes on old Kona’s – bloomin’ perverts, the lot of them.
    All that fully rigid nonsense, don’t they know things have moved on et cetera .

emanuel
    Free Member

I remember a gentleman I often used to find on some climbs.

Signor Locci.
    he was 74,I remember him telling me,he looked no older than early 60s.the bike must have been an early 80s,late 70s.I was 18-9.
    always doing 110k on a road hybrid with bar ends.that’s why I love drops.
    Anyway,
    he’s dead now,but it was always nice to chat to him.learnt a lot.
    he’d been cycling,racing all his life.so nearly the same generation as coppi,bartali.
    continuity.I miss that here in spain.maybe if I was in the basque countries there would be more cycling culture.though it’s not bad here.

loads of senior gentlemen on oldish(30-40ys) road bikes when I used to live in italy.out for rides.I miss that.The different generations all together like,and chatting and getting dropped by people 3x my age.
    and old blokes,retired and on really bling bikes,I mean really bling.and doing 150km a day.every day,or every other day.It wasn’t exactly flat either.in their little oap chaingangs.hammering.
    and enjoying themselves.

Ah,memories.

oldgit
    Free Member

I sometimes chat with a bloke on an old road fixie, God knows what it is as it’s covered in black oil.
    He has to be in his eighties. He wears cycling shorts and either a normal button up shirt or a wooly jumper. No lid. And an old Stan Pike cotton musette.
    I always enjoy meeting him

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

We met this old boy on an ancient, but well maintained and good quality, tourer/audax type bike. He must have been 70 at least. He told us he’d had a stroke and struggled to walk too far, but he could ride his bike ‘all day long’

He was a charming chap and a real inspiration IMO
    🙂

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘old blokes on old bikes’ is closed to new replies.