Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Old bike kit / clothing
  • pcb
    Free Member

Hi,

I’m seeming never clearing out boxes of old bike kit and other stuff since my divorce.

Is there any charity that would want old bike clothes and random bits of bike kit?

It’s not worth selling on here as postage writes off the value of the kit.

Cheers

flashes
    Free Member

I’ve bought tyres from 1 shop and another had tops. I think most will be happy to accept any gifts, my local Hospice shop has just sold the full drum kit they had….

jonba
    Free Member

where are you. There are bike charities that will take parts and maybe other stuff.

http://www.recyke-y-bike.org/

in Newcastle.

tang
    Free Member

3 projects near me in gloucestershire that will take parts. Clothes to charity shop I reckon.

pcb
    Free Member

Thanks for the info

aP
    Free Member

If you’re in west London, Moore Bros regularly send out containers of bikes and bits to a project in Africa. We’ve donated clothing as well in the past.
    Alternatively most charity shops will take and sell on cycle clothing.
    We’ve just had a churn through clothing and have a couple of bags ready to donate on.

matt_outandabout

Having spoken to the Lesotho MTb team at the commonwealth, I suspect that they would appreciate all sorts to keep the bikes they use and the ones for outreach going – clothes too.
    https://www.facebook.com/LesothoACEMTB

It’s making me think, perhaps we should organise a STW give away to something like this….? We could get it all gathered, and see if a forumite has some way of shipping out there.

rOcKeTdOg

That’s a good plan Matt, might make a good article for the mag too

matt_outandabout

Collecting kit shouldn’t be an issue – it would be shipping it to a suitable cause that could be costly, unless we have a shipping mogul or Branson in our ranks…

PiknMix
    Free Member

Great idea Matt, I am currently packing for a house move and the amount of unnecessary bike stuff I am packing has shocked me a little.

hebdencyclist
    Free Member

Cycle Recycle, if there’s one near you

hebdencyclist
    Free Member

Having spoken to the Lesotho MTb team at the commonwealth, I suspect that they would appreciate all sorts to keep the bikes they use and the ones for outreach going – clothes too.
    https://www.facebook.com/LesothoACEMTB

It’s making me think, perhaps we should organise a STW give away to something like this….? We could get it all gathered, and see if a forumite has some way of shipping out there.

Hold on a mo. ACE Lesotho (sorry, Sufferfest ACE Lesotho powered by Unitrans) already have several big commercial sponsors, including a bike sponsor (Giant) and a kit supplier (Pactimo). Will they really want/need all our old crap from our garages?

I think that giving our old bike bits to charity is a great idea, but we should consider where it would be most needed/wanted before we get carried away.

matt_outandabout

The racers do, the work they do with kids in villages doesn’t i
    (I think…)

Other more suitable good causes may be available…

marklesotho
    Free Member

Hi, I came upon this thread after a google search and decided I need to put the record straight. I am the team manager of the ACE Lesotho MTB team and I think I need to find a new media manager if we are giving the impression that we are a well-off team with big commercial sponsors.
    Big commercial sponsors rarely give anything away (especially to MTB teams) and we have to pay for almost all our bikes, parts and kit. In fact we had only one good bike between 7 riders for most of the season (the same one in all the photos 🙂 ) and the team only has one set of kit that they have to wash every night to wear the next day.
    Most of the team are from very poor backgrounds and would warmly appreciate any “old crap” you may have lying around. We also run activities for children and these are very much in need of clothing, parts or just about anything.
    The problem, though, is how to get the stuff over to Lesotho and how to avoid attracting custom duties etc. so I am not sure if it is feasible.
    With help from The Sufferfest – ACE Lesotho Team has managed to piece together a great first “pro” season with very few other sponsors and an annual budget of about £8000, and we are always on the lookout for people who are willing to support by sharing the story or helping us find more sponsors.
    Regards
    Mark

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Old bike kit / clothing’ is closed to new replies.