Viewing 9 posts - 41 through 49 (of 49 total)
  • Old bands releasing naff new stuff
  • wordnumb
    Free Member

Jane’s Addiction.
    Slayer.
    Primus.

VanHalen

New bodycount. So rad.
    New Coldcut today, I’ve not listened to it yet but hopeful!
    Apex twin? I liked his recent album.
    Underworlds new one was actually good too. And I don’t like much of their stuff.

bob_summers

The Stones made a good call releasing a covers album recently. Best thing theyve done for several? decades .

Northwind

submarined – Member

Ugh, Idlewild.

Weirdly Idlewild have started playing old material again- saw them last year and they suddenly dropped in Captain and Film For The Future with a dash of You Just Have To Be Who You Are in it. Makes for a completely weird set.

CountZero

The Pixies have been doing it for 12 years now
    Hate to say it, but those two new albums they released are just a bit too weak for my liking.

I’ve got pretty much Pixies entire catalogue, and while the two new albums are a bit less ‘angular’ than the old ones, that’s been replaced by better melodies and a greater depth in the songwriting, which is what you should expect from people who’ve got older, instead of pretending they’re still twenty!
    Belly are recording new material after twenty years, on the strength of the new material they played on their tour last year it’s going to be on a par with ‘Star’ and ‘King’, and the EP that Lush released last year was as good as anything they ever recorded, and the three times I saw them last year they were stunning, but sadly their bass player has called it a day, and the girls just couldn’t face carrying on as just the two of them.
    Very sad, I’d have loved a whole album of new materiel.
    I’ve actually got the new Blondie album, and I was very impressed with the variety and quality of the songs, and Debbie’s voice sounds ok, I wouldn’t judge her on a ‘Later…’ performance, I’m rarely impressed by anyone playing on there, I just don’t think they can get the monitoring right, and it affects the vocals.
    There are, though, some bands who are clearly just going through the motions, but I’m sure age has nothing to do with it, some people are just lazy.
    I’m still holding out hope for a new Talk Talk album one day…

monkeysfeet
    Free Member

Thunder and Magnum (with the great Harry James as the drummer in both bands) produce some excellent stuff these days.

edlong
    Free Member

kelvin – Member
    Nearly every band listed has produced great “new” music long after their supposed golden period.

POSTED 1 HOUR AGO #

wordnumb – Member
    Jane’s Addiction…

[/quote]

That told you! I’m a massive fan but nothing they’ve done through several partial and one full reunions has been anywhere near the standard of the original run.

Whathaveisaidnow
    Free Member

the wedding presents latest album ‘Goin Going’, though overly long, holds together well, and has some cracking tunes on it, some of their best stuff since Seamonsters.

Go Dave!

theotherjonv

overly long! It could be twice as long and I wouldn’t tire of it.

Best work full stop, possibly.

Viewing 9 posts - 41 through 49 (of 49 total)

The topic ‘Old bands releasing naff new stuff’ is closed to new replies.