Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 49 total)
  • Old bands releasing naff new stuff
  • redmex
    Free Member

I loved Debbie Harry in the ’70s/80’s great singer and what a pout but that new Blondie record is dire, just like Paul McCartney since band on the run all his stuff has been bad

DezB
    Free Member

Saw Blondie on Jools and it was listenable, just so uninteresting.

I’d rather they were writing and releasing new stuff than just touring playing the old albums like so many old duffers do.
    Too much new stuff around to bother with them really.

Gary_M
    Free Member

I loved Debbie Harry in the ’70s/80’s great singer and what a pout but that new Blondie record is dire,

I’ve listened to it a couple of times this week, I thought there were a couple of decent songs on it, with one in particular very ‘parallel lines’ style.

nerd
    Free Member

The Pixies have been doing it for 12 years now.

legend
    Free Member

Stone Roses are current kings of releasing complete drivel aren’t they?

submarined
    Free Member

Ugh, Idlewild.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Latest Deep Purple stuff sounds like the sort of thing a fictional old band getting back together in an episode of Midsomer Murders would record.

scud
    Free Member

They are all at it, Ride, Bluetones, Sleeper and others all going out on the “make some money from nostalgia” tour.

But on the flipside, went to see Leftfield play Leftism on saturday at Brixton Academy and they were ace! Managed to knock plaster off walls and SD card out of PC!

Seeing Stone Roses next month, so hoping they stand up, missed them last time round. Of the new material, liked the second of the two singles, but the first was a bit “pub anthem”

shermer75
    Free Member

Some of the new stuff is good- ‘charm assault’ by Ride is a great song and I liked ‘beautiful thing’ by Stone Roses

eskimonumber1

Am looking forward to the new Ride album, have liked the songs I’ve heard from it so far. Their set at the 6 music festival was fantastic.

As mentioned already, Beautiful Thing by the Roses is decent too.

ulysse
    Free Member

You’re talking about Sparks, aintchya…

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

Stone Roses are current kings of releasing complete drivel aren’t they?

I can’t imagine what shite Oasis churn out when the inevitable happens and Liam and Noel make up and go on tour again. And thats coming from an Oasis fan…

On the flip side, I’ve just got the new Echobelly album. Only had a quick listen but it was fantastic – like a matured (less pop-ey) version of their 90s stuff. Great 🙂

theotherjonv

Old bands playing their old classics, that’s what we want, yes?

(I saw Wheatus last night – superb; go and see them if you can. They get a bit of a rap for being a ‘joke’ band on the back of Teenage Dirtbag but they have some genuinely good songs, great stage presence / show, and they can all play too. Plus three backing singers doing a close harmony ‘mother***er’ always makes me smile. And it’s Wedding Present playing George Best, 30 years on :ulp: in 3 weeks time)

toby1

Kasabian are already there too, dire new drivel.

Bands write better music when they are skint and troubled, then they get rich, lazy and complacent and the music suffers.

Gary_M
    Free Member

I can’t imagine what shite Oasis churn out

Same old beatles covers they’ve been churning out since they formed I would think 🙂

PJM1974
    Free Member

New Order have been doing this since 1990.

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

I can’t believe no one has mentioned U2 yet

brooess
    Free Member

Same old beatles covers they’ve been churning out since they formed I would think

That’s just besmirching the Beatles! Oasis have always been a pub band – there’s no songs which sound anything like The Beatles or even a shade of their breadth or creativity…

Rock’n’roll was a social thing as much as cultural – there was a lot of social and economic change at the time so it’s a product of its times and I’m not sure it’s realistic for us to expect music like that to be continued to be produced half a century later – by either the original artists or new ones.

However the economic, political and social tectonic plates are shifting once again so hopefully some great new art will come through over the next decade… but like the 60s and 70s, the world that produces it will not be a settled one…

cdoc
    Free Member

Red Hot Chilli Peppers. From funk to terrible, weak ballads over the space of two albums.

Mr Scruff too, unfortunately. Loved all of his stuff up until Friendly Bacteria (2014).

scud
    Free Member

Red Hot Chilli Peppers. From funk to terrible, weak ballads over the space of two albums.

You are right there, having read his autobiography (which is a great read) unfortunately they seem to have gone terrible when they gave up drugs, which i’m not advocating! last few albums have been bloody awful

BobaFatt
    Free Member

The Pixies have been doing it for 12 years now

Hate to say it, but those two new albums they released are just a bit too weak for my liking.

cdoc
    Free Member

unfortunately they seem to have gone terrible when they gave up drugs, which I’m not advocating!

Not advocating drugs, or not advocating good bands giving up drugs?
    If ‘I’m with you’ and ‘Gateway’ are anything to go by, it should definitely be the latter 🙂

Also, Incubus. What happened there then?

bikebouy
    Free Member

Sadly Van Halen now fall into this category. Once the epitome of musical Rock, now the pit of cock Rock.

And I’m a lifetime fan of theirs too 😐

chakaping
    Free Member

Yeah the new Ride song is a good un. They always had good tunes and a nice sound.

Didn’t expect them to make a comeback though, maybe they were more popular than I realised first time round.

DezB
    Free Member

That belongs squarely in the “Things I don’t get” thread… that there’s any interest in a new Echobelly album… or Ride for that matter.

Mooly
    Free Member

Looking through, has anyone come up with an old band that has released anything half decent?
    Orbital try but no doubt due to the lack of mind bending hallucinogens don’t get any where near. Chemical brothers. OK but Meh
    What about Roots Manuva.
    Are these old enough?
    Not looking forwards in any way to the new LCD album when it comes>>>>

2tyred

Creative Peak Rule.

[video]http://youtu.be/pQD-dXfHrvk[/video]

dragon
    Free Member

The Prodigy & Kanye West

DezB
    Free Member

Roots Manuva & LCD Soundsystem are nowhere near old enough that be included! Kanye West??
    This is too surreal for me.

Gary_M
    Free Member

Looking through, has anyone come up with an old band that has released anything half decent?

OMD’s English Electric was far better than their original stuff.

Stoner
    Free Member

Slowdives new album is pretty good

choppersquad
    Free Member

The Charlatans new single is ace.

mikey3
    Free Member

Teenage fanclubs ‘here’ from 2016 is ace.

BobaFatt
    Free Member

The The’s new stuff is supposed to be good

shermer75
    Free Member

Creative Peak Rule.

Disproved by Anton Newcombe (Brian Jonestown Massacre), he’s 50 this year and some of his latest stuff might (might!) even be his best

funkmasterp

Also, Incubus. What happened there then?

Lead singer slowly took control of the bands creative output. The less mainstream ideas of the guitarist got sidelined. A real pity as they were quite good.

I liked Soundgardens King Animal. Even more so now that it’s the last one they’ll do.

kayak23

I’m just waiting for a Joe Cocker comeback.

jamj1974

The view that older acts can’t make great records is a view that is almost unique to rock and roll… IME you don’t see that idea as universally adopted in folk, blues, country, soul, hip hop etc…

In a different note, I quite like the couple of new Ride songs I have heard, I enjoyed the two new ‘Roses songs and I have enjoyed every Charlatans album since the beginning – except Up At The Lake…

submarined
    Free Member

De La Soul have been consistently excellent. Even their side projects.
    Weezer ebb and flow, but album before the current one was great.

kelvin

Nearly every band listed has produced great “new” music long after their supposed golden period.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 49 total)

The topic ‘Old bands releasing naff new stuff’ is closed to new replies.