Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Old Ay-Ups for the Road
  • SaxonRider

I have an old Ay-Up light set that I still use (from time to time) on my mountain bike, but I was thinking about using the bike-mounted light on my winter road bike as well.

Other than the fact that they are slightly ungainly compared to the powerful self-contained lights of today, should this work? Would the only concern be that I need to aim it low lest it blind oncoming drivers? Or is there something about beam pattern than will aggravate others regardless of what I do?

crispedwheel
    Free Member

Should be fine, I just mine on both mtb and road bikes, with no issues. Just point the beams lower to the ground like you say. Worth noting that if you use an out-front garmin mount, you can’t mount the lights centrally over the stem as the garmin obviously gets in the way of the beam.

STATO
    Free Member

To not blind people coming the other way they would need to be pointed so far down youd be doing 10mph max. You can get proper road lights which let you see and be seen (better than just blinding the person you want to see you). B&M are the best but there are a fair amount out there.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos

My Ay-ups came with some snap-on light diffusers. They soften the beam and throw more light out sideways. Still plenty of light on the road though.

I’ve no idea if you can still get them.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I wouldn’t worry too much about beam pattern, just run them on their lowest setting and you’ll not trouble drivers.

No more than the average super bright Audi headlight with the sharp cut offs that makes it look like they’re continuously flashing at you.

One thing I did was to zip tie a bit of plastic milk bottle cut into a semi 1/2 circle around the front of the lamps like an eye-lid, stops you looking down and being dazzled by your own light, and helps preserve your night vision so you don’t need them on full power.

benp1

Wouldn’t you need the plastic milk bottle to be covered with duct tape or something dark, otherwise it’s like a diffuser and still hurts your eyes

On my road bike I use a bar extender to move my Strada further out in front so it doesn’t glare in my eyes while I’m standing to pedal up a hill

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Wouldn’t you need the plastic milk bottle to be covered with duct tape or something dark, otherwise it’s like a diffuser and still hurts your eyes

Blocks enough of it not to be an issue anymore, and the diffuser effect possibly makes it more visible from the sides.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Old Ay-Ups for the Road’ is closed to new replies.