Viewing 23 posts - 41 through 63 (of 63 total)
  • Oktoberfest?
  • misterduncan
    Free Member

I don’t think I’ve seen so many crashes in a race. It was pretty challenging out there. Had a few moments where the bike just went from beneath me and only just managed to catch it.

The trail was noticeably quieter after the torrential rain. I think that was the last straw for some.

yourguitarhero
    Free Member

Good race. Well organised with a great atmosphere.
    Good course too.

My first go at singlespeeding. Was pretty good actually. Did my last lap on a pal’s geared bike and was slower. Might have been a bit drunker by then lol.

Takeaway curry and a shower set me right. Legs are aching this morning, but in a good way.

Some very fit people out there!

aP
    Free Member

We were in mixed pairs, nice consistent laps, bit miserable in the rain.
    Course was good, all rideable (except for me the two rock sections on the last bit of singletrack – which I couldn’t get me head round, due to an extent because I had eye surgery 2 months ago and have lost about 20% vision in my left eye).
    It was good fun and the majority of the fast boys were good when they came past, except for one not actually so fast bloke who didn’t really say he was coming, kinda drew alongside me, ran out of room so pulled into the middle of the track, locked handlebars and forced me to brake instead of being forced off the track – when I said “just get on with it” he got really quite arsey – well done to you.

Edric64
    Free Member

My team mates for BikeCity T3, Rich Hobbs and Carole Welch won the mixed 8hr after 3 years of trying .Well done both of you !!

misterduncan
    Free Member

I had to give a mid-race lecture to one guy about letting people know he was passing, after we almost took each other out.

First time soloing so letting faster traffic through took a bit of getting used to. Most riders were very polite though.

Does anyone know what happened to the guy who crashed out on the zig zags? He looked in a bad way.

Paceman
    Free Member

I was the guy riding 8hr Solo on the green fat bike (the only fatty going solo??) so also had to accept lots of team and 4hr riders overtaking me, most were very polite I thought and it’s all part of racing, a few who tried to squeeze past with no warning though but they were a rarity.

The course and event vibe were great I thought, my first time riding Ashton Court so the fast and flowing trails were a pleasant surprise. I’m truly battered today after riding solo, but I’ll be back next year I’ve no doubts.

Thanks to all the organisers, marshals and volunteers for a great day.

Kryton57

Did anyone else spot some cheating going on? Twice I spotted riders appearing in front of me that I was past before entry to some singletrack. Notably an older lady in black/ flouro pink “Swindon” kit – I went past her up the long gravelly climb – the start climb- over the bridge and it to the singletrack then past the picnic table area. As I exiited the picnic tables onto that little sharp climb there she was again in front of me, swearing her way up it.

Shame on you madam, I hope you’ve only cheated yourself.

noteeth
    Free Member

Rich Hobbs and Carole Welch won the mixed 8hr after 3 years of trying

Nice one.

Wells represent! 😀

tweedviper
    Free Member

Fantastic event, good course (rock garden the best bit) very lucky with the weather with only one wet lap, only saw 2 people taking a shortcut!

Well done all involved, see you next year

Paceman
    Free Member

Kryton57 – Member

Did anyone else spot some cheating going on? Twice I spotted riders appearing in front of me that I was past before entry to some singletrack. Notably an older lady in black/ flouro pink “Swindon” kit – I went past her up the long gravelly climb – the start climb- over the bridge and it to the singletrack then past the picnic table area.

There’s usually a small minority of riders finding their own “shortcuts” at most events. They’re not the serious racers, often people struggling with the course, nothing really to worry about.

It was a tough day and a great end to the season I thought.

bikehamster

First go at an 8 hour solo event – really enjoyed it,though I can only remember the first and last laps. Everything in between is a bit hazy.Won some beer, so well chuffed. Just need to clear the muddy kit out of the car now… 😀

skellnonch
    Free Member

As always great course, I thought it was grippier after the rain, brilliant event and good buzz at the party too.

njee20
    Free Member

I was the guy riding 8hr Solo on the green fat bike (the only fatty going solo??) so also had to accept lots of team and 4hr riders overtaking me, most were very polite I thought and it’s all part of racing, a few who tried to squeeze past with no warning though but they were a rarity.

Didn’t George Budd ride his? He was planning to when I spoke to him!

Paceman
    Free Member

Didn’t George Budd ride his? He was planning to when I spoke to him!

He may well have been on his Salsa fat bike which is why I was asking as I only spoke to two other guys who were doing single demo laps on Surly fatties. George Budd would have lapped me I suspect at some point though!

richP

yep George was there on his fatbike. He went blasting off from the start in his usual fashion only to suffer a flat tyre after breaking a spoke.

I can’t believe he doesn’t carry spare tubes for it! they’re only a kilo or so aren’t they 🙂

Shame, it would have been good trying to keep up with him.

njee20
    Free Member

Edit, confirmed by Rich.

Shame he broke a spoke, those carbon wheels looked good at 12:12.

richP

just seen that Kevin Sheldrake has already posted some pics up here
    Octoberfest 2014-455

Paceman
    Free Member

richP – Member

yep George was there on his fatbike. He went blasting off from the start in his usual fashion only to suffer a flat tyre after breaking a spoke.
    I can’t believe he doesn’t carry spare tubes for it! they’re only a kilo or so aren’t they
    Shame, it would have been good trying to keep up with him.

I started near the back hence the reason I didn’t see him then 😉

benji
    Free Member

An excellent event, felt truely battered by the end but 8hrs on a fully rigid singlespeed is probably always going to do that to you, still can’t believe I came home with a trophy (2nd 🙂 ) Enjoyed seeing you out on the course YourGuitarHero, couldn’t resist carrying out your instructions every time I saw you. The rain was great as it actually improved the grip in most areas, especially the long greasy climb.

Paceman
    Free Member

Congratulations Benji, 8hrs rigid and singlespeed is no mean feat round that course, and second place too :mrgreen:

Paceman
    Free Member

More photos here…

Oktoberfest 2014

Kryton57

Video here, and fame for me at 1:54 onwards. 8)

localhero94
    Free Member

I’m in at 1:02, and riding rather than crashing. Which is nice.

Viewing 23 posts - 41 through 63 (of 63 total)

The topic ‘Oktoberfest?’ is closed to new replies.