Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 63 total)
  • Oktoberfest?
  • adsh
    Free Member

Toying with the idea of entering this but seem to remember some talk about narrow trails, difficult passing?

What’s the event like? Still on a high from Torq which was a hard act to follow.

If you’re fast enough, you’ll get past OK. 😉

northernmatt

Expected thread about beer.

Am disappoint.

nemesis
    Free Member

It’s got a fair bit of singletrack. That means narrow trails. I’ve never had a problem with overtaking though there are always a few idiots at any race.

jimw
    Free Member

To be honest, a lot of it is wide enough to make a pass. Those short bits that are not, having someone come up and shout ‘RIDER’ really loudly is only likely to slow them down even more whilst they look for a nonexistent space to pull over.

rOcKeTdOg

It’s racing, zig zag to keep them behind you. Winning is everything!

there are always a few idiots at any race

Paceman
    Free Member

Anyone doing this on Saturday? I’m heading over Somerset way to see my folks, thinking of making a late entry.

I’m entered.
    As long as there’s no one faster than me in my category, I reckon I’m in with a chance of winning. 😉

Carpediem
    Free Member

First time for me – have no Idea what to expect – apart from rain.

Paceman
    Free Member

First time for me – have no Idea what to expect – apart from rain.

Ditto 😀

benji
    Free Member

I’m making the trip down from Lincolnshire, 8hr solo singlespeed for me.

The course will be what ever it is, and it’s the same for everyone. Just hope it’s warmer than dusk till dawn was the other night, -2 was hurting my lungs.

Paceman
    Free Member

The course will be what ever it is, and it’s the same for everyone.

Absolutely. Part of the enjoyment for me is the unexpected nature of riding new trails in another part of the country.

LLOYDSTEVENS
    Free Member

The Solo event is full/closed now, but if anyone is interested, I have a 8 hour solo entry available. Send me a mail to lloyd@qwertycycles.co.uk if you fancy a ride. £20. 🙂

pt0608
    Free Member

Passing/being passed is easy on those trails. I’ve done Bikefest twice as a solo. As long as everyone is nice to each other, there is no problem.

Paceman
    Free Member

Lloyd… YGM about the 8hr solo entry.

egb81
    Free Member

Passing isn’t a problem if you’re polite (and quick enough). There are only a few bits where it’s a little tricky but those are short and the slowest people are generally nice enough to pull over. It’s a well organised and friendly event.

jeffl

People had no trouble passing me last year 🙂

Still it was good fun, unfortunately I don’t have the time to enter/play this year.

Bengdogg
    Free Member

I have a solo 4 hour for saturday morning I dont think I will be using if anyone wants to buy it off me and handle the emailing the organiser side of things.

Entered months ago but I have a leaky roof and a roofer coming this weekend to sort

MarkBrewer
    Free Member

It’s a well organised and friendly event.

I’ve done bikefest twice and oktoberfest once so far and thats always how I’ve found the event.

I’m doing the 4 hour pm solo this year . . . . . . . . . . . the weather forecast looks nice 😆

yourguitarhero
    Free Member

Yup, coming down from Edinburgh for it.
    If you see a guy with long hair on a root beer Trek 69er single speed playing heavy metal from some Bluetooth speakers shout “douchebag” and try and run me off the track. I’ll be drunk.

benji
    Free Member

If you see a guy with long hair on a root beer Trek 69er single speed playing heavy metal from some Bluetooth speakers shout “douchebag” and try and run me off the track. I’ll be drunk.

You sound distinctive enough, mission accepted 🙂

aP
    Free Member

Yup, sounds quite distinctive. Will you be talking Scotchist as well?
    We’re doing 8hr mixed pairs, what could possibly go wrong…?

yourguitarhero
    Free Member

No way, I speak the English good like that what y’all do

Kryton57

Well, due to tubeless woes it looks like I’ll be running a Ralph/Ralph combo.

I’m either going to be quite fast or lying down a lot. 😐

benji
    Free Member

On my way, see you folks tomorrow, apparently it’s sunny in the morning and raining in the afternoon.

gary

Well, due to tubeless woes it looks like I’ll be running a Ralph/Ralph combo.

I’m either going to be quite fast or lying down a lot

The course is really weather proof. You’ll be fine. (I have a 2.4 RR on the front of my bike, been fine at Ashton Ct before)

Kryton57

Well, I’ve seen a 2013 course vid and am more worried about the ralph washing out on the singletrack corners.

But I’ve never ridden there before so I’ve no idea of the grip levels. No one in the vid was sliding though.

yourguitarhero
    Free Member

I have a massive, really loud silver bell on my bike.
    I put it on in the expectation that I would let people know I’m flying past them on the right, but in reality I will mostly use it to get service from the bar wenches

pt0608
    Free Member

Kryton57

You should be fine on Ralphs. I have one on the back and have been riding it all year. It’s pretty worn now, but still grips.

njee20
    Free Member

It’s grippy, you’ll be fine! Always forget about this, but have enjoyed BikeFest a few times. Not too sorry to miss this one judging by the forecast!

yourguitarhero
    Free Member

I’ve got a 2.1 folding Crossmark on the back of my 69er.
    I doubt mud is its friend

Kryton57

Not too sorry to miss this one judging by the forecast!

Only 70% chance of shower between 1&5pm? I’m not talking about the weather as I’m dragging the family down, and Mrs K isn’t the out-doorsy type, so standing around in a dry field was a hard sell as it was…

I can’t find an email with the camp site allocation. I know I’ve paid in advance.
    Have I missed it, or is there no allocation and it’s a free for all?

gary

No allocation this time according to the website

monkeyp

Really annoyed I can’t make it this year.

As for tyres, no need for mud tyres, only one boggy section so no point. And any tyres will be washing out on the first bend into the singletrack, although my Fatty coped OK with it last year 🙂

Fast and furious fun!

Kryton57

Anyone else sitting at home feeling like they’ve been beaten to a pulp?

Otherwise, a good event with an underwhelming performance from me. 😥

localhero94
    Free Member

I”d put my hand up if it didn’t hurt so much

jimw
    Free Member

Was a bit slick in places on the first lap, improved as day wore on, managed to miss the ‘shower’ in the afternoon 🙂
    My times were in the ‘very average indeed’ division, but was a very good event, enjoyed it a lot.

MarkBrewer
    Free Member

Did the afternoon solo and that’s the closest any race has come to breaking me!

Haven’t really been putting in the miles lately after a grade 3 shoulder separation a couple months ago so fitness let me down a bit. I was on my 6th lap and got back about 2 or 3 mins after the cut off point, there’s nothing worse than being close enough to hear the count down to the end of the race knowing you’re not going to make it 🙁

Was really slippery in places so was glad of that heavy rain as it actually made the course grippier.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 63 total)

The topic ‘Oktoberfest?’ is closed to new replies.