• This topic has 20 replies, 13 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by ontor.
Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • OKO Off Road sealant in bike tyres?
  • ajantom

Seen this for sale in my local Mole Valley store (ooh-arr, me lovely!) at £8 for 1250ml. OKO Sealant

I know they do bike specific sealant too, but at this price it seems rude not to.
    Any reason why it won’t work in MTB tyres? It says it’s good for quads, mobility scooters, lawnmowers, etc. as well as bigger vehicles.

survivor

Give it a go and let us know ?

kilo

I’ve used it on my mtb and cx bike. Seems to work ok, fixed quite a biggish hole on the cx bike. Takes a while for the tyre to seal on cx bikes, moreso than with stans. But no real problems with it otherwise. Will probably stick with using it

Clobber
    Free Member

I’m not touching it until they release the “race” version…

legend
    Free Member

kilo – Member

I’ve used it on my mtb and cx bike. Seems to work ok, fixed quite a biggish hole on the cx bike. Takes a while for the tyre to seal on cx bikes, moreso than with stans. But no real problems with it otherwise. Will probably stick with using it

Is it better for (not) drying up like Stans? I discovered at the weekend, at the wrong time, that my tyre was sahara-like inside…

mattb74

Madison will soon be taking delivery of the cycle specific OKO products as a cobrand within Nutrak.
    The aforementioned Off Road product will usually work but it’s thick and heavy and it is designed for slow-moving industrial and agricultural tyres. Puncture Free Bike is freer-flowing and designed for on and off road bicycle use,(with inner tubes) to seal tubes more effectively than other sealants. You don’t need as much as you do of Off Road (or of Slime etc)
    For UST / Tubeless conversion use the Magic Milk product. This will last 6-9 months once installed in the tyre, and will dry as a thin layer around the tyre, not in a big lump.

chrishc777
    Free Member

I’ve got some, found it too dense to move around in the tyre and seal anything up unless you have a pint of it sloshing about in there, plus another pint to seal it in the first place. Interesting though that it worked for someone else.

amedias
    Free Member

still annoying that the above sealant is £8 for 1250ml, Magic Milk and bike stuff is £8 for 250ml 😯

munrobiker
    Free Member

I’ve used their bike sealant in the past and you have to use LOADS of it (instructions said something like 500ml), significantly more weight than an innertube’s worth, and it wasn’t especially good at sealing. I find stan’s more effective.

MostlyBalanced
    Free Member

I bought a bottle in the Alps last year as a last resort after I picked up a puncture that the latex sealant (Joes) wouldn’t seal and the tyre’s been fine ever since with about 50ml inside.

iffoverload
    Free Member

not used the off road variety, but the Xtreme and the regular bike versions.
    did the job but can throw the wheel out of balance as it isvery thick.
    so I added some water and it was much better.

never got a puncture that I knew about, never dried out.

legend
    Free Member

munrobiker – Member

I’ve used their bike sealant in the past and you have to use LOADS of it (instructions said something like 500ml)

Given that the bike sealant comes in 250ml bottles and they say it’s enough for 2 mtbs…… what on earth were you using?

EDIT: or are there different versions of bike stuff?

Suggsey
    Free Member

I wonder if it would work well in fat bike tubes….definitely give it a go as lots of other stuff is poor at sealing at low psi in my experience.

legend
    Free Member

it’s thick and heavy and it is designed for slow-moving industrial and agricultural tyres.

Should be fine for fatbikes 😉

munrobiker
    Free Member

I was using OKO Xtreme, which it appears has been replaced by Magic Milk.

ajantom

Just bought a bottle, and as it seems to be water-based I’ll have an experiment with thinning it with water – maybe 2 parts sealant to 1 part water initially.

It does seem to be another example of putting cycling on the bottle quadruples the price! Matt from Madison above says it’s only for slower moving vehicles, but on the label it says up to 50mph, and I imagine quad bikes have a similar or higher average speed than an MTB.

ajantom

Just to add to this, I did a bit of Googling to see if anyone else had tried diluting it and this popped up on another forum…

It appears they emailed OKO to ask for some advice and this was the reponse:

Had a response from OKO and whilst they can’t endorse thinning the sealant down (certainly not 1:1 like I did) it can be done and indeed their cycle sealant is the same stuff, just a bit thinner. They also recommended 120ml in a 26″ tyre

If I dilute it 2:1 it’ll be costing me £8 for just under 2 Litres. Should keep me going a while!

So yes, it is a case of charging cyclists more for the same stuff. Can’t say I’m surprised, as it was ever thus!

ajantom

Reporting back after a week of use….

I diluted the sealant 2:1 with water. Consistency was a bit thicker than normal latex stuff, probably due to the lumps in it that help it seal.
    Popped the tyres onto the rims with ghetto inflator (Vredestein tubeless ready tyres and old Mavic Crossland wheels) and put in the sealant via the valve using a tube and syringe. Was a bit of a pain due to the thickness of it, but got it in ok. I used 120ml per tyre to be on the safe side. Pumped up to 40 psi and did the sealant dance 😉 some sealant leaking at the bead, but not lots.
    Left over night and one tyre only lost 5 psi, but the other was nearly flat. Pumped up again and went for a ride. I had to pump it up a little half way round, but no burps or other problems. Since then they’ve both stayed up at full pressure. I had a look just now and pulled out a couple of little thorns, seemed to seal up ok.

So, with dilution you get nearly 2 litres for £8! Of course YMMV.

ontor
    Free Member

Been running the same stuff for about 2 years or so. Never an issue

ajantom

Hi Joe, now you mention it, I do remember you mentioning using tractor sealant one ride up on Haldon!
    How’s tricks? Fancy a ride when it stops raining?

ontor
    Free Member

yes please! got some new toys to try out on the way too…

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘OKO Off Road sealant in bike tyres?’ is closed to new replies.