• This topic has 26 replies, 20 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by momo.
Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Okay, so what xtr kit is worth the premium over xt?
  • DT78
    Free Member

I asked down there about xtr pedals vs xt and consensus seems to be advantages are a diddy bit lighter and the bling name for an extra 50% more.

As well as pedals I was also eyeing up last seasons 10 speed cranks and shifters to replace my ageing xt. Let me guess no point either?

If it helps, this is going on a bike that is actually raced rather than parked up outside a trail centre cafe (though it does that too)

Sam

Only you can decide what is ‘worth it’ to you. If you are prepared to pay for the incremental weight/fancy improvement over XT then it is.

The-Swedish-Chef
    Free Member
    br
    Free Member

Having run full XTR (including cassettes) I’d have to say, shifters.

Most XTR is just lighter than XT (and the rest), but the shifters do ‘feel’ and work nicer.

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

Xtr shifters , xt cassette , slx everything else (saint shifter if 1 by 10)

Hope that helps!

hilldodger
    Free Member

shifters are the only piece of xtr where I’ve actually felt the difference rather than persuaded myself there was a difference (apart form the weight of course)

njee20
    Free Member

^^ this

Obviously the weight contributes to a lighter bike over all, which can be felt, but other then the shifters I think you’d be hard pushed to really tell a functional difference. I still buy it though.

Northwind

Ancient scabby M970 cranks

I’d not have the 10-speed XTR shifters on my bike, awful. Rather have Deore. Haven’t tried the 11 speed yet though.

perthmtb
    Free Member

I only run three bits of XTR kit on my bikes, rest is all SLX on one bike and all XT on the other. They are:-

1. Shifters. XTR have four sets of ball races versus the XT two (and SLX/Deore nylon bushings!) and it does make them smoother. Plus good deals around on 10sp XTR shifters at the mo (Merlin XTR same price as CRC XT) cos they’re sooo last year now the 11sp is out!

2. Chain. But that’s because I live near the coast and any exposed bit of steel that’s not coated in something to protect it will rust. XTR has nickel plated inner plates, outer plates, and pins. XT only the outer plates are coated, SLX neither. The fact that XTR has hollow pins is actually a negative for me as they get full of gunk and are impossible to clean out, but the fact they don’t rust wins the day.

3. Bottom Bracket. XTR are supposedly better sealed. Haven’t done an exhaustive scientific test to prove it one way or ‘tother, but as they’re cheap as chips bought online from Germany – just makes sense.

You’ll notice none of it has anything to do with weight, and two out of the three you can’t even see an XTR logo – so its about function not weight/bling for me.

njee20
    Free Member

But a chain with a bit of surface rust doesn’t perform any worse. So that’s about aesthetics, and if you lube properly even that’s not an issue.

scruff
    Free Member

Ah, but Saint 10sp shifters are better than XTR, especially with clutch mech / 1×10 . The longer Saint lever makes a differnece IME.

Junkyard
    Free Member

Cranks – cannot tell
    Cassette – 9 speed and a 10 speed – cannot tell

Nice weights though

Northwind

scruff – Member

Ah, but Saint 10sp shifters are better than XTR

Yup. Really hope they retain that feel for one of the 11-speed models.

perthmtb
    Free Member

But a chain with a bit of surface rust doesn’t perform any worse. So that’s about aesthetics, and if you lube properly even that’s not an issue.

Apparently it does – Shimano claim a slippery chain surface reduces pedalling friction, improves mud shedding, and decreases wear. Who am I to argue with the big S.

However, I’m totally OCD about any rust anywhere on my bike – it’s a cancerous scourge and I won’t have it 👿 And I’m willing to accept this is probably out of all proportion to the actual effect it has on performance 😆

remoterob
    Free Member

Weight is not always clear cut. For example, for certain front mechs, SLX weighs less than XT and only 5 grams more than XTR.

jimjam
    Free Member

10 speed XTR shifters are nothing special. Saint feels much better, XT too. XTR cassette is quite a bit lighter. XTR brakes seem a bit less reliable. Apart from that no real difference apart from the bling factor.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

IMO cranks.

Im a heavy bugger and like stiff cranks. The shifters are nice but you pedal about 180 times a minute, and shift maybe once.

That and my only bike with any XTR is singlespeed.

Depends how you define value for money too. If it lasts then XTR and DA are still worth good money in a few years. I just had to pay almost new 5800 money for 7800 replacement bits on ebay after a crash. Where the equivelent 5600 is almost given away. It doesnt justify the £600 price differential when new but its now a 12 year old groupset that I’ve no plans to replace, which kinda makes it good value.

jimjam
    Free Member

thisisnotaspoon – Member

IMO cranks.

Im a heavy bugger and like stiff cranks.

Serious question – Aren’t XT and XTR cranks grams apart? About 6 grams? That’s maybe 3 grams less material per crank arm. Unless there’s something fundamentally different about the way XTR are made. I’ve got XTR and can’t feel any difference vs XT. Saint, yes. Noticeably stiffer. And RF Diabolous were stiffer again, so I can feel a differnce. But not between XT and XTR.

nickc

I’ve got shifters pedals and rear mech on mine, and TBH I bought them “because”.

The shifters (as mentioned) aren’t that great, mech is bling, pedals are pedals.

They’re all nice to have, but I wouldn’t be in a mad rush to replace like for like if they broke

BoardinBob

absolutely zero difference between my XT & XTR brakes

slackboy

Ive got the XTR shifters and XTR shadow (not +) derailleur. rest is SLX

XTR shifters are much nicer than the ones I had before, but I wish I’d gone for XT shadow + derailleur rather than the bling.

it does look nice though…

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Serious question – Aren’t XT and XTR cranks grams apart? About 6 grams? That’s maybe 3 grams less material per crank arm. Unless there’s something fundamentally different about the way XTR are made. I’ve got XTR and can’t feel any difference vs XT. Saint, yes. Noticeably stiffer. And RF Diabolous were stiffer again, so I can feel a differnce. But not between XT and XTR.

They came on a s/h bike so i didnt have to pay for them but I think theres there’s a noticeable difference between the m970 and m760, not as much as comparing them to the raceface deus or saint at the extremes of the scale, but they are definately stiffer. The weight wasnt an issue on my bikes, im usualy after stiff/strong/reliable at a low-ish weight rather than putting weight first.

timmys

Shifters.

Give me XTR shifters + Deore/SLX mech over XT shifters and mech

adsh
    Free Member

Whatever you do DON’T get the XTR M980 pedals. They wear out very quickly (much quicker than a cassette0 , are not serviceable and the separation of pedal body from axle is not internet rubbish – it just happened to me.

AVOID!

No way of knowing what the M9000 pedals are like but I bet they’re not serviceable.

honourablegeorge

jimjam – Member

Serious question – Aren’t XT and XTR cranks grams apart? About 6 grams?

SLX Crank arms are 6g heavier than XT

XTR arms are 75g lighter, and there’s more saved in the rings (but for a LOT more money)

http://www.sicklines.com/gallery/data/529/shimano-xt-m780-crankarms.jpg

jimjam
    Free Member

Oooh. So sexy. Must be some kind of miracle material if they are that much lighter and significantly stiffer. I wonder how much the new 11speed XT crank arms will weigh? Anyone know?

momo

I have XTR shifters on all my bikes, XTR mech on one (was an ebay bargain, bought with a shifter) XT on another and Zee all shadow+. I can’t tell the difference between the mechs when riding, the XTR one looks more bling and definitely feels like a better built item but I certainly wouldn’t pay new money for one!

I have M970 chainsets on 2 of the bikes and SLX on the other, functionally I can’t tell them apart (both XTRs have N/W chainrings)

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘Okay, so what xtr kit is worth the premium over xt?’ is closed to new replies.