Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • OK, what about Mickleover??
  • munkster
    Free Member

I feel like I've asked for opinions on most villages/towns in Derbyshire over the last few months but if anyone has any thoughts on what Mickleover would be like to live in it would be much appreciated…

TIA!

theboatman
    Free Member

It's pretty much attached to the city of Derby, tbh I just think of it as living in part of Derby City. It's seen as a desireable part of Derby to live, and it backs out towards south derbyshire, and some nice villages, so if you picked the right bit I'm sure it could feel rural.

iain1775
    Free Member

Im in Littleover, next door
    Mickleover is the 'snobby' part of Derby (along with Darley Abbey, Quandon etc)
    Its nice and the old 'village' part is okay
    Some of the people that live there though are unbelievable – complaining about and trying to get the Air Ambulance banned from landing at the new hospital (on the edge of Mickleover) because 'it's noisy and disturbing' – FFS, its also saving peoples lives!

Generally its a nice place to live, decent local shops and a smallish Tesco, Mix of housing types from new estates to old cottages and terraced, couple of alright pubs although it is still a suberb and therefore part of the urban sprawl not a village as you describe. The main roads through get very busy at rushhour with people commuting in/out of Derby, esp Uttoxeter Road and Station Road
    A&E Hospital just opened on the outskirts of Mickleover and there are plans to build between 800-2000 houses on various greenbelt and brownfield land all around the area, as well as mods to the nearby A38 roundabouts so traffic will likely get alot worse.
    Personally I would go further out of Derby if I could afford it or Littleover over Mickleover as parts of it are similar but that bit cheaper
    Schools wise it is served by a quite good secondary that alot of people move to the area to try and get kids into

Easy access to M1 via A38 and A50 etc as you are right on southern edge of town Route 6 of the National Cycle Network passes through giving easy access to rides around Ticknall and South Derbyshire etc

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    munkster
    Free Member

Hmm, interesting. I didn't for a second think of Mickleover as a "village" by the way, but everything else we've been considering has been – this is another though given that not-a-lot comes up in most of the (nice) villages around the area.

I will take on board your comments though; we are probably going to end up renting for a bit first to get the lie of the land but if something "perfect" (does that ever happen??) does come up we're trying to get an idea from afar with a few visits in the meantime…

Cheers again.

iain1775
    Free Member

have you considered Hilton / Hatton Ticknall, Melbourne?

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘OK, what about Mickleover??’ is closed to new replies.